Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found a STR based Haplotype Predictor giving more defined results than a macrogroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a STR based Haplotype Predictor giving more defined results than a macrogroup

I recently got my Y-37 results and input my STR values into a predictor at http://texasmicrodevices.com/genes/ and the result it gave was CTS923 or E-M4670, directly downstream of E-U174. I already knew I was E-U174 from 23andMe and even beforehand Morley predictor predicted the same thing from my Ancestry DNA autosomal file; so did Wegene along with my mtDNA being within L3 macrogroup, which turned out to be correct (L3e2a1b1). So I was surprised that it would give me a deeper subclade without SNPs. It supposedly bases it on verified SNP results and the STR values of those haplotypes. Has anyone else used this (or care to try)? If so, have you found it accurate according to your tested haplotype?

It's possible I am a deeper subclade because what matches I do have based on STRs have all been further downstream. It's hardly conclusive given they are only 12-STR matches, but it's all I have to go on. I'd have figured 23andMe would have given my E-M4670 if that's what I was, but you never know.

Yes at 12 Markers this is not complete. I put in my "12" Markers, and it said I was "S515" BUT, I have "111" Markers on "ftDNA" and I'm at "A12144" getting ready to go to "BY106458", (Far down the tree from S515), as soon as my Cousin's BIG-Y-700 comes in.

Comment

23andMe doesn't test very deep to provide a Haplogroup. I just upgraded to V5 and they report me as R-CTS241, which BIG TREE says is equivalent to R-DF13. At V2 I was R-L21.

Comment

It says that I am P312 but all other predictors (111 markers) say R-Y5587....

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          23andMe doesn't test very deep to provide a Haplogroup. I just upgraded to V5 and they report me as R-CTS241, which BIG TREE says is equivalent to R-DF13. At V2 I was R-L21.
          I've seen results from DNA relatives on 23andMe that do have a deeper subclades than E-M4670, like E-M4451 and E-CTS1313. So 23andMe seems capable of going deeper. But I still don't know every detail of how these tests are done and rather or not there is room for error (i.e. missing an SNP that is present). It seems everyone else has gotten upstream results, which is what you'd expect from a 12-STR predictor. FTDNA only places me at E-M2 with Y-37.

Comment

As I wrote above 23andMe dose do SNP testing but they don't test many SNPs.

Unless your order SNP testing FTDNA only predicts a Haplogroup based on your STRs. FTDNA does offer individual SNP, SNP Pack and Big Y to determine Haplogroups.

Comment

If you have tested at least 67 markers, Nevgen is a nice predictor. It only works well for haplogroups R1a, R1b, I, J and E, though.
              https://www.nevgen.org/

Comment

Working...
              X