How close is a match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close is a match

I have posted something similar to this on another thread, but I hope someone can give a bit of guidance. I have two matches, one has tested to Y37 and is a match at GD1, the second has tested to Y67 and is a match at GD2 at both Y37 and Y67, I have tested to Y111 but have no matches higher than this match at Y67. From what I have researched, although the two surnames are the same as each other, ( I don't know my paternal surname) the two families are not related after the 1700's and but for the dna result may not be related at all. My problem is this, I have contacted the match at Y37 who has sent me his family tree, however,neither he nor I can see how we might be related. Before I contact the match at Y67, I would like a bit of input on how close GD2 is considered to be, and given that I can't see any ancestor/relative to the closer Y37 GD1 match, I'm a little uncertain whether to contact the Y67 match or not. Any input will be welcome, thanks.

I think you should write him and see what he has to offer. I am not sure how you can rule him as unrelated to your 37 match if you have not seen his info yet

FTDNA has a TIP tool for predicting. Take it with a grain of salt. So you are almost certainly related in the last 12 generations and probably in the last 8. In my rough estimate, 8 generations would be around 1750 and 12 generations around 1650. With a fudge factor of a few decades.
    4 43.77%
    8 83.61%
    12 96.4%
    I have a couple of 65s out of 67. We have a known common ancestor, born around 1751. 4th gr gf for me, maybe 5th for them.

You should also look to see if you are a Family Fnder match to either. Probably out of range, but you never know.

Comment

Thank you very much for your response. I decided to contact the person concerned and he has offered to see what he can find. He has a very long and well established family tree, but due to the current health situation is unable to access any information. He has said he will have someone look at where our common ancestor may be, which I think is very kind of him. I just have to wait now for health restrictions to be lifted and situations to become more 'normalised' to see what he can find. Only the Y37 match has done FF, and we do not match on that test.
      Last edited by Dano; 3 June 2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Just another question on this if anyone can help, my Y67 match shows 0 at 12, 0 at 25, 2 at 37 and 2 at 67, does this mean that the 2 at 37 has carried forward and that the 67 section is an exact match at 0. I am considering re-contacting this match to ask if he has been able to shed any light on our connection since the health restrictions have been eased, and would like to have as much information as possible to hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
          Just another question on this if anyone can help, my Y67 match shows 0 at 12, 0 at 25, 2 at 37 and 2 at 67, does this mean that the 2 at 37 has carried forward and that the 67 section is an exact match at 0. I am considering re-contacting this match to ask if he has been able to shed any light on our connection since the health restrictions have been eased, and would like to have as much information as possible to hand.
          Yes, the GD numbers are cumulative, if it's 2 at 37, and 2 at 67, then the STRs match exactly from 38-67.

Comment

Thank you, this is quite a close match then I think.

Comment

Working...
            X