X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJGK
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    Both you and each of the matches need to be in the same project and the project must have a public website where you can view the results of the project members. Another option is to get the match to send you a copy of their results or give you the information to let you access their account.
    Thanks.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Both you and each of the matches need to be in the same project and the project must have a public website where you can view the results of the project members. Another option is to get the match to send you a copy of their results or give you the information to let you access their account.

Leave a comment:

• CJGK
    replied
    Possibly slightly off-topic, but where do I look to find the actual marker values for each of my matches. My Y67 test shows seven matches, all showing GD=1 in the first 12 markers. Five of these all have the same surname and on paper are all cousins descended from an identifiable common ancestor. I can't see their actual marker data to look at any differences in the mutation locations. Should I be able to see this, and if so, how?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    4. The more markers you match with another person the greater the probability of a common paternal relationship.
    3. You didn't tell us your predicted Haplogroup. R-M269 is very common. Again as you add markers matches will drop off because they haven't tested the additional markers or they differ on more markers.
    2. Again, R-M269 is very common and includes many English names.
    1. The more markers you test the more markers there are to have different values. To calculate the genetic distance between two people add up the the differences at each marker. Excluding multi peak markers, this is your genetic distance. For multi peak markers the calculation is a bit harder.

See https://learn.familytreedna.com/y-dn...etic-distance/
    and https://learn.familytreedna.com/y-dn...s-interpreted/

You can find the chart for different marker counts by replacing 67 in the link above with 12, 25, 37 or 111.

Leave a comment:

• Locky
    started a topic Help to understand Genetic Difference needed

Help to understand Genetic Difference needed

Hello!

I did a Y37 DNA test and am trying to understand the implications of the results.

At 12 markers I have 3 matches, all sharing my surname with a genetic difference of 0.

At 25, 2 of the matches disappear (they did 12 marker tests, so that makes sense) and the third remains, still at a genetic difference of 0. I also have 3 new matches (genetic distance of 1) and 12 further new matches with a genetic distance of 2, none of them sharing my surname.

At 37 markers I have the same match as before (with my surname) but now with a genetic distance of 2, another match at 2 with an unfamiliar surname and 4 further matches (1x3 and 3x4 genetic distance).

My questions areā€¦
    1. Why does the genetic difference change at different markers? How distantly or closely related could I be to the person who shares my surname and appears at all marker levels? (37 markers GD of 2). I suspect our common ancestor to be around 1650, but it may be earlier -certainly not after 1700.
    2. Why are there so many different surnames in my list of matches?
    3. Why do I have most matches at 25 markers? (With one exception all others did Y37 or better).
    4. What would I potentially gain by doing a Y67 test or better? (At present I am only interested in tracing my family tree)

Many thanks for any comments or advice.

Mark (aka Locky)
Working...
X