No announcement yet.

Beginner question - y DNA matches without common surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, testing your sister is the best way to check things.

This is written in the Terms of Service:
    "If you believe your sample was misidentified, please contact Customer Service for help as this can affect your privacy."
    https://www.familytreedna.com/legal/terms-of-service

The only way to show non-matching results by mistake, would be: wrong person tested.
    It is very, very unlikely.
    Unfortunately, the test cannot be repeated with a fresh sample from your Dad.

If you do not wish to test your sister, you could test any close relative of your Dad (his sibling, cousin, a nephew) to check that his sample belongs to him. (They do not need to know that you were already tested, if you wish to keep sensitive info private.)

Please, take all the time you need, before you decide how to deal with this.
    Your Dad is your Dad, even if the samples do not match. He was present in your life, and this is what really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Emona View Post
      If you do not wish to test your sister, you could test any close relative of your Dad (his sibling, cousin, a nephew) to check that his sample belongs to him. (They do not need to know that you were already tested, if you wish to keep sensitive info private.)

Please, take all the time you need, before you decide how to deal with this.
      Your Dad is your Dad, even if the samples do not match. He was present in your life, and this is what really matters.
      I agree with Emona's thoughts completely. I hope that I was not too blunt, but I think you were looking for an explanation. I believe that the genetic testing companies do not adequately warn people taking the tests about considering the possible outcomes before testing.

One way to investigate further without involving your close relatives would be for you to take the AncestryDNA test. Since Ancestry has the largest database of autosomal testers, you would have a good chance of finding one or more close cousins. You might be able to see if any such matches have a relationship to your father who raised you or to someone with no apparent connection.

Good luck and best wishes for you in overcoming this difficult development.

Comment

Hi again, thank you so much for your help ... this is the sort of situation you read about in books, it doesnt happen to me!
        I still think there is a mistake somewhere..... I guess that is what everyone says in this situation but I really do! I know the correct person was swabbed as I did it myself.
        My sister is struggling with this news also and is a little reluctant at this stage to test (ironically she was much closer to my dad and understandably now feels very protective of him and this situation) but I think given time she will hopefully agree to go ahead. I have ordered the Family Finder as suggested.

And yes, he was my Dad in life and he will always be that but still ....

Comment

A bit of an update, I found out today that my cousin (Dad’s brother’s son) has had atDNA done, we’ve both uploaded to GED match and waiting to see...

Comment

If he tested with Ancestry he can transfer his raw data from there to FTDNA for free. See https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
              If he tested with Ancestry he can transfer his raw data from there to FTDNA for free. See https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer
              Including Ancestry, FTDNA can accept the following, as well:
              • 23andMe© V3
              • 23andMe© V4
              • 23andMe© V5
              • AncestryDNA™ V1
              • AncestryDNA™ V2
              • MyHeritage™

Comment

So, cousin is a match with my Dad as expected for nephew/uncle. I have no shared matches with him

Comment

Originally posted by vwaddell View Post
                  So, cousin is a match with my Dad as expected for nephew/uncle. I have no shared matches with him
                  Thank you for sharing that information with us.

Often, when a Dad does not turn out to be a biological father, promiscuity is assumed. Another possibility is that you were adopted, but never told. If you think that is a possibility, you might try to determine if your mother is your biological mother. Now that you have your kit on GEDmatch, you can run a 'one-to-many' for it and see if any close relationships emerge on your mother's side. You can also examine your Family Finder matches for that, too.

Of course, if you sister decides to test, the results would help answer that question.

Comment

Definitely my mother's daughter so not an adoption scenario. FtDNA have actually been very receptive and are running an investigation through their Data Assurance team...
                    Meanwhile, I have a cousin on my mother's side who is very interested in genealogy apparently so I am trying to contact her to see if she has ever had dna testing done.

Comment

Hi everyone, expect the unexpected! My dad is indeed not my biological father, the research begins ....
                      Last edited by vwaddell; 28th December 2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the news with us, and good luck for the journey to your roots.

Comment

Working...
                        X