Question about results on Y-DNA test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about results on Y-DNA test

I'm still learning...so please be patient! I have been trying to determine the lineage of my 3x-great grandfather, who supposedly came from Ireland. He was married twice. I have identified his first wife, and have been trying to uncover the identity of his second wife. It has been said that her surname was “Quick.”

I have had 2 males who are direct descendants of this lineage (the second wife) take Y-DNA tests. They both have had 5 matches with people at a Genetic Distance of 2 at 25 markers, who have the last name “Quick.”

So, how does the 3x-great grandmother’s surname, assuming it actually is “Quick,” show up using Y-DNA testing. I’m a bit confused…thanks for helping me understand this!

Presuming your pedigree ties into Quick line, any males ydna that desends from her will not give answers as she did not pass on any ydna.

You would have tie autosomal ( Family Finder Test) matches to her Quick line to confirm.
    Note though for 3rd cousin there is a 10% chance of not sharing overlapping dna and it jumps to around 50% chance of not sharing with 4th cousins. So not matching a known person (suspected 3Rd cousin or further) who ties into her suspected Quick line does not disprove connection, just testing more candidates maybe needed. Matching proves, not matching means nothing unless 2nd cousin or closer in regards to autosomal test like Family Finder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert524 View Post
      I'm still learning...so please be patient! I have been trying to determine the lineage of my 3x-great grandfather, who supposedly came from Ireland. He was married twice. I have identified his first wife, and have been trying to uncover the identity of his second wife. It has been said that her surname was “Quick.”

I have had 2 males who are direct descendants of this lineage (the second wife) take Y-DNA tests. They both have had 5 matches with people at a Genetic Distance of 2 at 25 markers, who have the last name “Quick.”

So, how does the 3x-great grandmother’s surname, assuming it actually is “Quick,” show up using Y-DNA testing. I’m a bit confused…thanks for helping me understand this!
      Her brothers. Her paternal uncles. And on back. Her father's line. If it's her husband's parents you are trying to identify, this might indicate that he married a cousin. OR... the "it has been said" got it wrong, and Quick is his patrilinial line, not hers.

Comment

Working...
      X