Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA - Ancestral Origins VS Y-DNA - Matches

Hi,

Just recieved my Y-111 results (waiting for BigY). My haplogroup is R-M269 on FTDNA (I know it's R-Z326 thx to 23andme)

I've a question, I do not have YDNA matches but I've 1 match at 12 markers for ancestral origin (genetic distance -1).

What's the difference between matches and ancestral origin ?

Thx !

Only exact (0 GD) matches are shown on your 12 marker matchlist, unless you and match are members of the same FTDNA project, then you will also see matches that are a GD of 1

Comment

Originally posted by Benvdc View Post
      Hi,

Just recieved my Y-111 results (waiting for BigY). My haplogroup is R-M269 on FTDNA (I know it's R-Z326 thx to 23andme)

I've a question, I do not have YDNA matches but I've 1 match at 12 markers for ancestral origin (genetic distance -1).

What's the difference between matches and ancestral origin ?

Thx !
      An ancestral origin match in the case of Y-DNA via the STR route of testing is simply based on self-reported places of origin for people with your haplotype. It is not very reliable due to this "self-reported" aspect. I would wait for your full Y111 results and go from there, remember that you may go several years without meaningful matches. So if you find you don't have any familial matches early on it can simply be due to several factors such as no one from your specific lineage has tested yet, or your lineage is quite rare and again, someone from that lineage has not yet tested.

Best of luck in your searches!

Comment

Originally posted by spruithean View Post

An ancestral origin match in the case of Y-DNA via the STR route of testing is simply based on self-reported places of origin for people with your haplotype. It is not very reliable due to this "self-reported" aspect. I would wait for your full Y111 results and go from there, remember that you may go several years without meaningful matches. So if you find you don't have any familial matches early on it can simply be due to several factors such as no one from your specific lineage has tested yet, or your lineage is quite rare and again, someone from that lineage has not yet tested.

Best of luck in your searches!
        Ah ok, thx for the clarification about ancestral origin.

Comment

Working...
        X