Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup very imprecise FTDNA 111-YSTRs: R-M269

Dear,

Just got my 111-YSTRs results from FTDNA and they classified me as R-M269.

In the past I've allready done a 38-YSTRs analysis with a local genetic group (DNA-benelux) and they classified me as R-L48.

23andme also classified me as R-L48 (on V4) and my great-uncle on paternal line as R-Z326 (on V5)

How is it possible for FDNA to be less precise ? Or I'm missing some points ?

Greetings,

Benvdc

FTDNA only predicts basic haplogroup on yDNA STR tests based on your first 12 markers, no yDNA SNPs are tested which are needed for a more precise haplogroup.

23andme does test yDNA SNPs with their autosomal test to give a deeper subclade branch.

At FTDNA, to get a more precise haplogroup, one needs to do additional yDNA SNP testing, whether it be a single yDNA SNP test or Full yDNA testing like BigY.
    Talk to your FTDNA haplogroup admins, they can give you the best advice on further testing, may only need to do a single yDNA SNP test (approx $39 USD) to confirm final haplogroup branch if others that you match have done deeper SNP testing.

Comment

Oh ok, I ordered a BigY-700 but just recieved Y-111 yet.

Just assumed they would allready do deeper SNP testing with Y-111

So it's coming with Big Y ? Great ;.)

Thx !

Comment

The problem with R-M269 is that the STR values just don't have the power to place everyone in an unambiguous part of that enormous branch of the Y haplotree. Some people end up with a bunch of very close matches who share their surname, others find either no close matches or else good matches but with many different surnames. Big Y (any version), because it looks at SNP's, is the way forward for those of us who didn't find useful matches from STR scores. As a result of the Big Y, I now know I'm out on a little twig, far away from any of the other McCoy families who have been tested, and that means I can safely ignore their genealogy, at least for now. But I would sure like some company out on my little Y haplotwig! With the new interest in Big Y, I hope someone with a good SNP match will turn up who also has something in common with my elusive ancestor.

Comment

Originally posted by Benvdc View Post
          Oh ok, I ordered a BigY-700 but just recieved Y-111 yet.

Just assumed they would allready do deeper SNP testing with Y-111

So it's coming with Big Y ? Great ;.)

Thx !
          Big Y700 (and the previous Big Y500 test) test for SNPs and STRs. FTDNA's STR only tests will not test for SNPs and with haplogroups as large as R-M269 it can be next to impossible to make an informed subclade prediction based on STRs alone as there is a fairly large level of convergence between subclades of M269. For smaller less prolific haplogroups it may be somewhat easier.

Comment

Working...
          X