Genetic Distance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Distance

If I have 2nd cousin who has a match at 0 genetic distance at Y37 markers and also at Y67 markers but at Y111 he has a genetic distance of 3 with this same cousin is this an indication that the mutations are in recent generations or in distant generations?

Which marker(s) has/have the difference(s)? What is the difference on each marker having a difference? A difference of 3 on one marker might suggest one answer while a difference of one on 3 different markers might suggest a different answer.

Comment

Even if, as I expect, the answer is "probably", would you want to base your genealogy on something with that degree of uncertainty?

For me, a result like that would tell me that the two men were not completely unrelated, but not much more. And if I already knew that the relationship was 2nd cousin, based on traditional genealogy, I would probably move on to other matters. However, if the real question is whether the relationship is 2nd cousin rather than, say, 3rd cousin or half 1st cousin, the next step would be an autosomal DNA test, such as FTDNA's "Family Finder". Autosomal DNA testing is very good at distinguishing many of the possible close (less than 3rd cousin) relationships.

Comment

"If I have 2nd cousin who has a match at 0 genetic distance at Y37 markers and also at Y67 markers but at Y111 he has a genetic distance of 3 with this same cousin is this an indication that the mutations are in recent generations or in distant generations?"

The results show that the differences in marker values occurred in the markers included in the Y111 series but not included in the Y67 series. However, which markers the differences occurred in says nothing about how long ago the genetic differences arose. All that is relevant is that, since there the number of mutational differences is small (none at 67 and only 3 at 111), this suggests that the two men may well be closely related and may have a common male lineal ancestor within the past 3-10 generations. Since mutations are (in theory) random, those differences could have occurred at any time, but you usually don't get 3 (even at 111) within 1 or 2 generations and usually get more than 3 at 111 if there were more than, say 5-10 generations since the common male ancestor. Please note, however, that since convergent mutations are possible (where more distantly related males appear closely related because, over many generations, mutations have brought their STR results closer together), it is possible that they are only related much farther in the past.
        Last edited by TwiddlingThumbs; 11th October 2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I should have clarified more in my original post. My second cousins is a fourth cousin (as I am) to the man in question. I'm female so my second cousin tested for me. Our fourth cousin shares the same 3rd great grandfather with us. This is well documented on paper. We have another cousin who has also taken the Y67 test and all match as do many others on the test. The question is not a different surname. That has been established and the surname has stayed constant down through the centuries.. The surname is Good a persecuted Mennonite group from Germany/Switzerland who immigrated in the early 1700's to Pennsylvania. Jim, I have contacted the cousin whose Y111 test just came in and asked him to share his markers. Maybe then I will be able to answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
            Jim, I have contacted the cousin whose Y111 test just came in and asked him to share his markers. Maybe then I will be able to answer your question.
            You might both join the same Mennonite project. There are several to choose from. Then you would be able to see each other's results.

Comment

My cousin and I have been able to compare markers.

Comment

Working...
              X