Need Some Insight - Surname does not show up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Insight - Surname does not show up

My uncle tested up to Y-111 and our Surname does not show up at all. For Y-67 he has 2's and 3's and for Y-111 he has 5's and 6's. There are (2) surnames that appear everywhere. What do I make of this and what does it all mean?

Originally posted by smi View Post
    My uncle tested up to Y-111 and our Surname does not show up at all. For Y-67 he has 2's and 3's and for Y-111 he has 5's and 6's. There are (2) surnames that appear everywhere. What do I make of this and what does it all mean?
    Are these Y111 matches the same people as your Y67 matches? What is the haplogroup? The reason for your surname not showing up could be for many reasons, such as people descending from the same male ancestor as your uncle haven't had their Y-DNA tested. Have you joined your surname project (if it has one?), Do any of these matches have ancestral ties to areas near where your ancestors lived?

Comment

It means either your common ancestor with these matches dates back to before the surnames developed, or there was a non-paternity event at some point. Or someone simply changed his name. What are the two surnames that appear everywhere? If they are not super common surnames, search your autosomal DNA matches for those surnames, looking for people who descend from the same ancestor of that surname. If you can find a lot of autosomal matches who descend from the same ancestor of one of the two surnames in your Y matches, that is a good indication there may have been a non-paternity event within a genealogical time frame. Do you get autosomal DNA matches who descend from your known paternal line?

Comment

Working...
      X