Y111 no matches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y111 no matches

Hi - I just upgraded from Y37 to the Y111, but have zero matches at Y111, and only three at 67 (at 4,6 and 7 GD). None match my surname at 67, or 37 (still only 4 matches), or even at 25 or 12 come to that. Am I just unlucky that no one on my shared paternal line has tested, or am I missing something? I'm RM 269 which is very common I believe.
    Last edited by trampo88; 27th June 2018, 03:05 AM.

Assuming your results are "complete" (I have no way of knowing if FTDNA matches are shown before processing of your data has been completed), you're in the same situation as my father. No close matches, and none involving our surname, McCoy. For me, this was a useful result -- I can safely ignore the ancestry of all the other McCoy's that have been tested, because they are now known to be unrelated to us! Eventually (through YFull and the Big Tree) I was able to see that I am out on a little twig with a couple of other people who have different surnames, apparently unrelated, far removed from the main group of McCoy's, and even on a distinct branch from the nearest group of matches, who are McMillan's. If the estimated age of the branches can be believed, my twig likely branched off well before stable surnames became fashionable.

Comment

Originally posted by trampo88 View Post
      Am I just unlucky that no one on my shared paternal line has tested, or am I missing something? I'm RM 269 which is very common I believe.
      Yes, R-M269 is very common, but it is also very common for someone (including an R-M269) not to find a match at 67 or 111. This just means that it is unlikely that you share a common male ancestor within the past 15-20 generations (about 450-600 years) with another man who has tested their Y-DNA at FTDNA. You no doubt share a common male ancestor much farther back in the past (thousands of years ago) with thousands of other R-M269s who have tested. Since only a very small percentage of the population has done Y-DNA testing, it is fairly common not to get any matches at the higher (more reliable) STR tests, even for R-M269s. Based on what I've seen in surname groups, maybe about 1/3 don't match with anyone at their highest level of testing.

Comment

ok thanks. I assume then that if I don't have any matches at 111, upgrading to the 500 is pointless?

Comment

Originally posted by trampo88 View Post
          ok thanks. I assume then that if I don't have any matches at 111, upgrading to the 500 is pointless?
          I'd say, but hasn't FTDNA been bundling Y-500 with Big-Y which is where you might want to eventually go?

Have you joined the project for R-M269? If not, I would do that next. When you get grouped, you could see if there is a SNP which is most common to that group and test for that individual SNP to confirm your placement. That might be the quickest way to move you along in your search for a patrilineal line.

Jack

Comment

ok thanks - I'll join that project to see where it takes me. When funds allow I'll do the 500, maybe by then I'll actually understand how it all works...

Comment

The project associated with R-M296 is called R _R1b ALL Subclades.

Comment

Working...
              X