Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only one match (12 marker) after almost 10 years!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Only one match (12 marker) after almost 10 years!

    I had my cousin's Y dna done. That was October of 2008. Can someone please explain how after almost 10 years, he has only one match and at a 12 marker level at that which doesn't mean anything from what I understand. But the surname is the same as my cousin's. Thanks, any help greatly appreciated.
    Never mind. I should have read other posts about this subject before posting. There are others with no matches or just a few.
    Last edited by Carla; 27 February 2018, 07:52 PM.

  • #2
    Have you only done yDNA12?

    YDNA12 only shows exact matches
    Exception, you will see matches that are a GD of 1 if you and match member of the same project.

    If one has a mutation at the 12marker level, this will drastically affect your matching.

    It is recommended to test to at least the 37marker level which allow for a GD of 4 between matches.

    Comment


    • #3
      What is the predicted haplogroup? What is the confirmed haplogroup? How many markers have been tested?

      Comment


      • #4
        He was tested to 67 markers. The match only did it to 12 markers. He is Haplo type R-M269.

        Comment


        • #5
          How many markers has the 12 marker match tested? If they have only tested 12 markers and they share the same surname it could potentially be a significant match. Edit: I see you say the match only tested to 12 markers. Have you ever contacted them? If I were you I would persuade them to test to 67 markers. 12 marker matches only mean nothing if the match has tested more than that with no match beyond this, here you don't know if they match or not because they have only tested 12.
          Last edited by travers; 28 February 2018, 02:14 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, I contacted the match and they aren't going to test anymore markers. It's purely financial that they won't test any further. I'm not going to bother them about it. Thanks for responding. I log into his account to check. I'm going to have his autosomal DNA done. Perhaps, that can yield some answers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Carla View Post
              Yes, I contacted the match and they aren't going to test anymore markers. It's purely financial that they won't test any further. I'm not going to bother them about it. Thanks for responding. I log into his account to check. I'm going to have his autosomal DNA done. Perhaps, that can yield some answers.
              Sounds good, and/or you can always offer to pay for this person to upgrade to at least 37 markers. The odds of another match coming along just by chance might not be good if this is the only one in 10 years. Now if you already know where this match connects to your cousin's tree maybe it isn't worth it but otherwise it might be. Also with lack of matches make sure you are comparing your cousin's results against the entire database and not just to members of the surname project.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Carla View Post
                He was tested to 67 markers. The match only did it to 12 markers. He is Haplo type R-M269.
                That seems odd to me, since R-M269 according to wikipedia "It is carried by approximately 110 million European men (2010 estimate)"

                Have your cousine joined [R _R1b ALL Subclades Project] from there start page it seems very promising they should be able to help out.
                "All R1b (M343), R1b1a2 (M269), P25 etc.... should join this haplogroup project, regardless of which subclade. ..... We will help identify your subclade and provide guidance on testing. .... If you are R-M269 and are not sure what to do, join here. ...."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow! Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Look at me then - I have several 12-marker exact matches scattered all around the world, mostly in Norway, one GD1 25-marker match in Italy, two GD2 25-marker matches in Sweden and no more matches on any other level - tested Y111.

                    I am the true Dragonborn.

                    The only clue is that there are absolutely no matches in Danmark or Finland - which means my ancient ancestors were pterosaur and took off in Asia and landed directly in Scandinavia! WTF

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JMAisHere View Post
                      That seems odd to me, since R-M269 according to wikipedia "It is carried by approximately 110 million European men (2010 estimate)"

                      Have your cousine joined [R _R1b ALL Subclades Project] from there start page it seems very promising they should be able to help out.
                      "All R1b (M343), R1b1a2 (M269), P25 etc.... should join this haplogroup project, regardless of which subclade. ..... We will help identify your subclade and provide guidance on testing. .... If you are R-M269 and are not sure what to do, join here. ...."
                      I can't get the URL you posted to work. Is there something wrong? Thanks.
                      Last edited by Carla; 1 March 2018, 12:50 PM. Reason: Needed to post

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Carla View Post
                        I can't get the URL you posted to work. Is there something wrong? Thanks.
                        No problems for me, you need to login to FTDNA.
                        But remember it's not you who shall join, it's your cousin. Because the project will then get his Y-DNA STR data automatically.

                        To look at the project page without login R-1b about
                        Last edited by JMAisHere; 1 March 2018, 04:19 PM. Reason: Added page when not login

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X