37 maker test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 maker test

I have matched with another person on the 37 maker test with a genetic distance of 1 (459b). Through my research I believe this person's grandfather was also my grandfather--what is the likely hood that is possible?

Mark Lane

Originally posted by laner1958 View Post
    I have matched with another person on the 37 maker test with a genetic distance of 1 (459b). Through my research I believe this person's grandfather was also my grandfather--what is the likely hood that is possible?

Mark Lane
    Click on the TIP icon it will give the odds. The odds are just the odds, right? Long shots come in and sure things are a bust.

Other posters have said that YDNA mutates slowly. That fits well with my data.

I have 3 people that are genetic distance 0 at 37 and 6 that are 1. We can have no common ancestor in the past 5 generations. We are in different countries with no possibility of interaction.
    Those that have done more testing to 67 move further away. I have not done to 111 but I am sure if I did, more genetic distance would appear.

Comment

Have you both taken the FamilyFinder test?
      If yes, and you do not show up as match on FamilyFinder - then basically zip chance -
      if his grandfather was your grandfather you would be full or half siblings or full or half first cousins - which is basically guaranteed to show on FamilyFinder

Comment

Originally posted by laner1958 View Post
        A gd of 1 on a 37 marker comparison is fully consistent with sharing a common grandparent.

Comment

Working...
        X