Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 markers match, genetic distance 1

Hello everybody,

I'm very new in this and I need to understand what a match described in the post title means.

I've been tested Y-DNA 37 and I have matches at 25 markers, some of them genetic distance 1 or 2

My haplogroup is R-M269

Thank you very much!!! :-)

k

do they match at 37 if not there not matches if they do match at 37 you still need at least 67 markers for last name matches

Comment

Are their surnames the same as yours or different?

Comment

It is the norm for someone who is R-M269 to have tons of matches based on a genetic distance of 0 or 1 at 25 markers. I myself have 176 of those matches, only 1 of which (at a genetic distance of 1) matches my surname. But at 67 markers, I only have 1 match with a genetic distance of 5 of less --- the same 1 guy with my surname (and who with whom I have a documented common ancestor born about 1700).

I would assume that none of your matches at 25 markers are related to you within the genealogical time frame unless you have other reasons to suspect they are.

If any of those matches also tested 37 markers but have a genetic distance of more than 6 (which is really stretching it) based on a comparison of 37 markers, there is virtually no chance that they are related to you within the genealogical time frame.

Comment

very helpful

Thank you

Originally posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
          It is the norm for someone who is R-M269 to have tons of matches based on a genetic distance of 0 or 1 at 25 markers. I myself have 176 of those matches, only 1 of which (at a genetic distance of 1) matches my surname. But at 67 markers, I only have 1 match with a genetic distance of 5 of less --- the same 1 guy with my surname (and who with whom I have a documented common ancestor born about 1700).

I would assume that none of your matches at 25 markers are related to you within the genealogical time frame unless you have other reasons to suspect they are.

If any of those matches also tested 37 markers but have a genetic distance of more than 6 (which is really stretching it) based on a comparison of 37 markers, there is virtually no chance that they are related to you within the genealogical time frame.

Comment

Different surnames and countries

Thank you

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
            Are their surnames the same as yours or different?

Comment

Working...
            X