Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of matches

Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea of the number of Y-DNA matches I should expect, obviously dependent on many factors but just a ballpark would be useful.

My father and I are trying to find out what his paternal surname is, but it's proving difficult. At least we found out we're in R-FGC11784 which has been interesting finding out early-ish origins.

I originally signed up for 67, eventually upgraded to 111, but right now I have:

2 matches at 37 (brothers I believe) GD-2

11 matches at 25 (1 is GD-1, the rest GD-2)

6448 matches at 12 (442 exact matches).

What I am trying to find out is, if this is representative of what others have in terms of numbers? Is it normal to have 0 67 or 111 matches of any distance?

Last question, can I make any (albeit vague) assertions based on the surname of my Y-37 matches?

I've also only got 195 family finder matches from my autosomal upload, is this normal? I get much larger numbers of 23andme....

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give,

Ross.

Originally posted by rossj View Post
    Hi,

I've also only got 195 family finder matches from my autosomal upload, is this normal? I get much larger numbers of 23andme....

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give,

Ross.
    Depending on Chip Version of 23andme (23andmeV4 only shares 311,705 SNPs out of the 700,000 tested by FTDNA), FTDNA will not show you the 4th to Remote category, You will only get Matches which fall between Parent/child and 3rd to 5th Cousin categories.
    To see full list of matches (4th to Remote category)one would have to test with FTDNA (FamilyFinder)

For example for myself (tested at FTDNA)
    I have 248 matches that are 3rd to 5th Cousin or above.
    The rest are in the 4th to Remote category, 1628 Matches
    Total matches 1876
    If I was a 23andmeV4 or AncestryV2 transfer, I would only see the first 248 matches.
    FTDNA places to low of confidence in matching in the 4th to Remote category with transfers that only share under 450,000 SNPs with their chip

this is also the reason 23andmeV5 chip can not be transferred due to to low of an SNP share/overlap with FTDNA chip (only shares around 170,000 SNPs)
    Last edited by prairielad; 5 December 2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X