23andme R-M417 Ashkenazi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23andme R-M417 Ashkenazi?

Hello people, my 23andme results show my Haplogroup R-M417. Reading through the report it says "Your paternal line descends from haplogroup R-M198, a lineage that is common in people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent"

As far as as I can trace back, there is no Ashkenazi heritage on my fathers side. I'm aware of the Ashkenazi Levite branch of R M417 but thought that 23andme data could only determine the basic haplogroup and not go any deeper. Will I need to do a FTDNA Y test to get to see if my lineage is the Levite one?

Originally posted by exeter22 View Post
    Hello people, my 23andme results show my Haplogroup R-M417. Reading through the report it says "Your paternal line descends from haplogroup R-M198, a lineage that is common in people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent"

As far as as I can trace back, there is no Ashkenazi heritage on my fathers side. I'm aware of the Ashkenazi Levite branch of R M417 but thought that 23andme data could only determine the basic haplogroup and not go any deeper. Will I need to do a FTDNA Y test to get to see if my lineage is the Levite one?
    Quick answer to the question in your last sentence - yes. As you noted, 23andMe doesn't test yDNA SNPs very deeply.

Also, 23andMe's description ("common in people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent") is misleading. It makes it sound as if M417 or M198 mean that the person has Askenazi Levite ancestry. Both those SNPs are so high level that the person could easily have a German, Scandinavian, Slavic or Indian/Pakistani paternal line. Only deeper testing can tell the difference.
    Last edited by MMaddi; 29 August 2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I'm from and live in Portugal. I did Y12 and got R-M198 with an exact match with Z93. All the matches are from a project called "Jewish families from Bohemia". I'm an 11/12 match with a Levite. Although i have these 21 jewish matches i will do the Y67 to confirm the levite modal haplotype.

Comment

Originally posted by nunofreiresilva View Post
        Hello,

I'm from and live in Portugal. I did Y12 and got R-M198 with an exact match with Z93. All the matches are from a project called "Jewish families from Bohemia". I'm an 11/12 match with a Levite. Although i have these 21 jewish matches i will do the Y67 to confirm the levite modal haplotype.
        I would recommend that you also consider Big Y, since if you order Big Y during the current sale, you will get Y-DNA111 test included.

Mr. W

Comment

Working...
        X