Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA Matches with TWO Different Surnames

I had a Y-DNA67 test.
    I have no close Y-DNA matches with my own surname!
    I have very close matches with TWO other surnames!

I have several matches to COX individuals who appear connected. The closest is a Y-DNA37 distance 0.
    There is a very obscure family rumor that our surname should really be COX and AncestryDNA tests of several cousins seem to support that my paternal grandfather was the product of an extramarital affair. There also is some circumstantial evidence that might support this COX connection.

But, I also have Y-DNA67 distance 1 matches with two separate individuals surnamed RICE – the differences in each is at DYS576. There is also a third RICE individual with a Y-DNA67 distance 2 match. There is nothing known of any Rice association in my family research.

This is puzzling! How significant are these matches? Especially the RICE matches! The evidence in addition to the Y-DNA Cox matches suggests, to me, more significance to a possible COX connection.

You didn't tell us about your Cox matches at 67 markers.

Comment

Do any of those Cox's or Rice's show a haplogroup sub-clade further down the tree than what you have. If so, what do they show?

The natural tendency is to ask if the (37,0) holds up as you add markers. I have (37,0) matches that found an explanation with a common ancestor about five generations back. Even if they did not hold at 67 markers, convincing me that the 37 marker results were false would be near impossible.

Good luck.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        You didn't tell us about your Cox matches at 67 markers.
        None of the COX matches tested greater than 37 markers.
        None of the RICE matches have less than distance 1 when 37 markers are checked, even though they did have 67 markers checked.

Comment

Originally posted by mpbeall View Post
          None of the COX matches tested greater than 37 markers.
          None of the RICE matches have less than distance 1 when 37 markers are checked, even though they did have 67 markers checked.
          You think your paternal line experienced two NPEs?

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
            Do any of those Cox's or Rice's show a haplogroup sub-clade further down the tree than what you have. If so, what do they show?

The natural tendency is to ask if the (37,0) holds up as you add markers. I have (37,0) matches that found an explanation with a common ancestor about five generations back. Even if they did not hold at 67 markers, convincing me that the 37 marker results were false would be near impossible.

Good luck.

Jack Wyatt
            At the 37-marker lever, I have 11 matches with distances 4 or less. These all, as do I, show a Y-DNA Haplogroup I-M223.

My COX matches (all with 37 marker tests) date from 2011, when I receive my 67 marker results. Further research seems to explain this with a common ancestor (with the nearest of these COX matches) six generations back.

My three RICE matches (all with 67 marker tests) have come over that last 14 months. They are my only matches with individuals who have done 67 marker tests. Two have distances of 1; the third distance 3 – whether view at 37 or 67 markers.

Michael Beall

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
              You think your paternal line experienced two NPEs?

Jack
              ONE - Yes! But a second? Certainly this is something of which I have absolutely no knowledge!!! ... It does seem my DNA test has opened a can of worms!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mpbeall View Post
                At the 37-marker lever, I have 11 matches with distances 4 or less. These all, as do I, show a Y-DNA Haplogroup I-M223.

Michael Beall
                Thanks Michael.

I was hoping that someone in the list had a subclade defined by a SNP that you could test for.

In my case, I am up to 67 markers, but it looks like going to 110 does not offer me good prospects. Instead I've been refining my paternal line by testing individual SNP's. I am waiting for some that have been identified by other's Big-Y test to be offered in the catalog.

Jack

Comment

When I got my cousin's Y-DNA results, he had no matches to his own surname, but about an equal no. of Hampton and Hollingsworth matches. So I joined both the Hampton and the Hollingsworth Y-DNA projects and the administrator of the Hollingsworth project explained to me that all the Hollingsworths in the project who matched Hampton DNA were descended from one man and that there was probably an NPE there (that particular Hollingsworth probably had a Hampton father. That was about 7 years ago and my cousin hasn't received any more Hollingsworth matches. He has gotten a lot more Hampton matches, but I have since figured out where the NPE occurred in my line through atDNA testing.

In addition to joining both the Rice and Cox Y-DNA projects, I recommend that you do the Family Finder test, preferably on the oldest living generation of the line in question.

Comment

Working...
                  X