New to Y Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Y Testing

I am managing my son's kit and just received results which show few matches - on 12 marker match he has two matches at genetic distance of 0 and then at 24 markers they fall off even though one of them tested to 37. Then at 24 markers he has a different match entirely of Genetic Distance of 2 and that match falls off at 37 which results in 0 matches. Is it safe to assume that none of these matches are relevant. Would he have any more matches if we test to 67 markers or no? Let me know what you think. We are trying to locate a surname at this point in an attempt to locate his missing biological father.

To which haplogroup does he belong?

Comment

Haplogroup reply

Predicted at J-M172

Comment

You are probably not going to get any more matches at 67 than what you have at 25. It is possible that your match at 25 might not match at 37 but could match at 67, but then again 25 with a genetic distance of 2 is just barely a match, and this person may not have even tested at 67.

I wouldn't say the match at 25 is irrelevant though he and your son probably don't share a common ancestor for hundreds of years to maybe a thousand years or more. The match may still indicate a geographical location of where your son's paternal ancestors came from. Does the match list where his earliest known paternal ancestor was born?

As to the surname of your match at 25, in my opinion the match to a common ancestor probably goes back too far to be sure of a given surname. You may just have to wait and hope a closer relation tests.

Have you and your son done the Family Finder test? That may be a better approach. That test finds relations based on your autosomal dna, and wll give you matches of your relatives over the past several hundred years. If you test both yourself and your son, then you would look to your son's results and use the "not in common with" filter choosing yourself as the "not-in-common" person. Then you would look at the closest matches. They should be relatives of your son's father.

You may also wish to take Ancestry's DNA test also for both you and your son. They have a big database and it is recommended that people who are adopted or similar to test at all three major testing companies. Again you would look at your son's closest matches, compare them to your closest matches and look for ones that are not in common.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information you have been very helpful. I recently ordered the Family Finder for my son but I will order for myself as well and try that approach and see where it leads us.

Comment

Working...
          X