Y37 Results(How should I proceed?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y37 Results(How should I proceed?)

Just received my results and had no matches at 37. Had 8 at 25 and 79 at 12. 67 or higher I assume would create any more matches if none at 37. Should I look at the multitude of subgroup testing it shows?

It is not necessarily true that 67 would produce no new matches but it is most likely the case. The GD variance is increased with the more markers tested and it is possible that the variants are only in the first 37 markers and you match the next 30 perfectly to someone that was just not shown at 37. Like I said not likely though.

Depending on your goals with testing (and your budget), would determine your next action. If you have the budget buy the Big Y on the next sale it will get you as far down the haplotree as possible (and it will update as more people test/match). Big Y doesn't cover the STRs to the lab standards and would not fill in the rest of your markers. You could wait until you have someone that matches at 37 markers before upgrading, would be my recommendation.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and may wait as I try and figure out all the results. A lot of info to go through as I am new to this. Like looking at the Haplotree for my predicted Halogroup(R-M269). It list hundreds of optional tests to add for SNPs but I would not even know where to begin.

One question though for the ones it lists with a add option I assume it may help narrow down that line but what if I have one listed as an outlier not in the predicted group but but is in blue?

Comment

You can join a haplogroup project and ask a project admin for advice. For every R-M269 person, the R1b project is first to join.

SNP testing can be useful, but it depends on what you want to find out. You won't get new matches by narrowing down your haplogroup to something more recent. If there are enough people with the same haplogroup, you might learn something about it. You might learn that everyone in your haplogroup is from a specific region. Answers are not easy to come by unless there is overwhelming data and sometimes even then it is not set in stone.

If you do SNP testing, the preferred option is the Big Y which will look for thousands of SNPs. It is a pricey test. The next best option would be a SNP pack which will test over a 100 SNPs. With the advice of an admin, you might be able to skip the first SNP pack and save yourself some money. The Big Y however will find new SNPs that no SNP pack knows about yet.

The 3rd SNP testing option is to order single SNPs as you see in the haplotree. This is a costly option unless you have the right data (thanks to close matches) to skip a bunch and test the fewest possible.
        Last edited by The_Contemplator; 14 February 2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I looked at the 3rd option for single SLP test but I would have no idea where to go from there as it gives so many options for adding test it seems it would be a lot cheaper to go with the Big Y

Comment

Originally posted by TNFann View Post
            I looked at the 3rd option for single SLP test but I would have no idea where to go from there as it gives so many options for adding test it seems it would be a lot cheaper to go with the Big Y
            In the long run Big Y is the best bang for the buck and if you are going to do it at any point you might as well start there! I highly recommend joining the haplogroup project. The admins in the project would know best with where to best spend your money.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFann View Post
              The confirmed SNPs of your matches could suggest SNP(s) you might want to order.

What do you expect to learn from SNP testing and how do you plan to use that information?

Comment

Working...
              X