Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Y-DNA 12 Results In! No Matches, No Haplogroup?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA 12 Results In! No Matches, No Haplogroup?!

Hi,

Just got my Y-DNA 12 results in. Just was curious to see if I would get any matches at all on my very rare Y sequence. And no, I did not, which I was pretty much expecting. But, I did not get a haplogroup prediction, unfortunately. I hope they will do a Backbone SNP test.

Is this normal?

As FTDNA's database has grown, cases of 0 matches at 12 markers have become increasingly rarer.

Failure to predict a haplogroup has become vanishingly rare, especially because FTDNA now uses 14 markers instead of 12 to make the prediction. (The primary purpose of the 2 extra markers is to double-check against sample swaps, but the extra markers turned out to be handy for haplogroup prediction as well.)

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
      As FTDNA's database has grown, cases of 0 matches at 12 markers have become increasingly rarer.

Failure to predict a haplogroup has become vanishingly rare, especially because FTDNA now uses 14 markers instead of 12 to make the prediction. (The primary purpose of the 2 extra markers is to double-check against sample swaps, but the extra markers turned out to be handy for haplogroup prediction as well.)
      How come mine only shows 12 markers?

Comment

I did however plug my STR results into 3rd party websites and they all gave me 100% probability for Haplogroup C3 (C-M217), which is what 23andme gave me, and my great uncle and father! Wonder why FTDNA could not predict this. I think we must have no matches because we are of German decent but have an Asian haplogroup.

Comment

Originally posted by jbower View Post
          How come mine only shows 12 markers?
          If you only ordered 12 markers that is all they test. Additional markers are used to predict your Haplogroup only if you ordered additional markers. Y-DNA tests STRs.

23andMe does not predict you Haplogroup. They do SNP testing to determine your Haplogroup.

FTDNA's SNP assurance program is used to do SNP testing to determine your Haplogroup. See - https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...nce-program-2/ You may need to request this program. The results of this program and that of 23andMe only provides high level Haplogroup information. To get deeper information will require additional SNP testing.
          Last edited by Jim Barrett; 14 February 2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
            If you only ordered 12 markers that is all they test. Additional markers are used to predict your Haplogroup only if you ordered additional markers. Y-DNA tests STRs.

23andMe does not predict you Haplogroup. They do SNP testing to determine your Haplogroup.

FTDNA's SNP assurance program is used to do SNP testing to determine your Haplogroup. See - https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...nce-program-2/ You may need to request this program. The results of this program and that of 23andMe only provides high level Haplogroup information. To get deeper information will require additional SNP testing.
            Thank you! I know my deep haplogroup (because it was hidden in the raw data at Ancestry) but I just wanted to have it show to my matches and be on the project page. I contacted support and am waiting to hear back.

Comment

What I am thinking is, though, is that they just haven't fully processed my results, because they were just posted yesterday. I read somewhere it could take up to a week. Every 3rd party site I put it into, it always gives me 99% - 100% for my known Haplogroup.

Comment

Originally posted by jbower View Post
                I know my deep haplogroup (because it was hidden in the raw data at Ancestry) ...
                No, Jim meant that if you want to have a more recent haplogroup assignment, you would need additional SNP testing. That is not the same thing as knowing what is your haplogroup.

YFull estimates that C-M217 is over 47,000 years old. As you can see, all the subclades under that are more recent since they came after C-M217. Therefore additional SNP testing can put you into one of those branches or even create a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                  No, Jim meant that if you want to have a more recent haplogroup assignment, you would need additional SNP testing. That is not the same thing as knowing what is your haplogroup.

YFull estimates that C-M217 is over 47,000 years old. As you can see, all the subclades under that are more recent since they came after C-M217. Therefore additional SNP testing can put you into one of those branches or even create a new one.
                  Oh ok. Do you know why they didn't assign it then? I am CTS3385 and currently there are no more recent subclasses but we shall see!

Comment

Working...
                  X