Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any significance to GD 1 starting at Y12 & holding thru Y67?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any significance to GD 1 starting at Y12 & holding thru Y67?

I just got a Y67 match with a genetic distance of 1. When I went back down the steps I found that the GD started at the Y12 level. The majority of my matches start at 0 or 1 at Y12 and then grow as the progress up to Y67. Is there any siginificance to the GD starting at Y12 but then holding thru Y67?

Originally posted by Lee93742 View Post
    I just got a Y67 match with a genetic distance of 1. When I went back down the steps I found that the GD started at the Y12 level. The majority of my matches start at 0 or 1 at Y12 and then grow as the progress up to Y67. Is there any siginificance to the GD starting at Y12 but then holding thru Y67?
    I think it is pretty interesting. I'm not really a Y-expert, but when you get up to Y-67 at GD at 1, the common ancestor should be close. Of course if you were able to go to Y111, you might have another story.

Jack

Comment

A 66/67 match is very significant. It almost certainly indicates a common paternal line ancestor within the last few hundred years, perhaps in the last few generations.

The principle is that you want to look at your matches at the highest level tested. The more markers to compare, the more reliable the estimate of "time to most recent common ancestor" (TMRCA). You're seeing that when you look at your 12 marker matches who fall away at 37 or 67 markers.

Comment

There are certain markers that rarely ever change, and there are markers that change somewhat often, and some in between.

All ranges 1-12, 13-25, 26-37, 38-67, 68-111, tend to have a mix of markers with varying mutation rates with most of them not mutating very often. For example, there exists markers in 13-67 range which are less likely to mutate than some in the 1-12 range.

So in your case, I would think your GD of 1 at 12 was a marker that changes relatively more often than most others.

http://isogg.org/wiki/Mutation_rates

Comment

On one of my kits I have a 67/67 match. The common ancestor has to be before 1800 because we have paper trails on that line back to that time period and still can't find a common ancestor. Our two oldest known ancestor on each line both have the same last name and lived within 30 miles of each other in 1830. We did the Family Finder test to see if anything would show up and and they were not a match.

Comment

Larry, I wouldnt be too discouraged by the FF non-match. Disappointed, maybe.

If your MRCA is before 1800, you are probably looking at potential 4th or 5th cousin matches or greater.

FF works well through 3rd cousin. (90%). 5ths are unlikely to match (10%). So your pre-1800 matches are not expected to be FF matches.

I have tested enough of my relatives to be able to confirm that drop off.

About half a dozen of my confirmed YDNA 37/67 matches have also tested via FF or AncestryDNA. Mostly 5th cousins with same surname, and solid paper trails. Only one matches me via FF.
            Last edited by mabrams; 13 January 2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee93742 View Post
              Y12 GD O, 15% of, all data, at dys 439 =14, less than 1% off test population
              Y12 GD Q, 85% of, all data, at dys 439 =14, less than 1% off test population been so since 2009
              Last edited by shentonjim; 14 January 2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X