y-DNA STR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• y-DNA STR question

I had my father tested (Y-DNA 12) and just received the results. Upon looking at the Y-DNA STR chart for the surname project he's part of there is another individual that matches exactly to my father. Is it safe to assume that both may father and this individual share a paternal line?

Not with just 12 markers.

Comment

They also show up as a family finder match for me, which is another reason I figured they would be related to my father's line. I plan on having my father's test upgraded in the future, but this is where I could start.

Comment

Originally posted by jeapos88 View Post
        They also show up as a family finder match for me, which is another reason I figured they would be related to my father's line. I plan on having my father's test upgraded in the future, but this is where I could start.
        He would show in Family Finder results of your father.

If he does not, then
        • either his relationship to your father is very distant, Y-DN67 would help to confirm the patrilineal relationship (the result would be Y-DNA67 match)
        • or he is not related (in the genealogical time frame) to your father, Y-DNA67 would help here too (the result would be no Y-DNA67 match).

So, upgrade your father test to 67 markers.

Mr W

P.S.
        I am assuming your father had Family Finder test.

Comment

the family finder was for me(female. I have not done the family finder for my father yet.

Comment

the family finder was for me (female). I have not done the family finder for my father yet.
            I have assumed that writing my response. Although, there is not much difference in this particular case.

Mr W

Comment

the family finder was for me(female. I have not done the family finder for my father yet.
              You've assumed that your Family Finder match to this 12 marker STR match to your father is coming from your paternal side. He can be matching you in Family Finder on your maternal side, so your assumption may be wrong. Ordering Family Finder for your father will be necessary to see if your assumption is correct.

Also, with just 12 markers tested, the match could be fairly meaningless, especially if the haplogroup is R-M269. Many, if not most, matches at the 12 and 25 marker levels represent a common ancestor more than 1,000 years ago. You'll need to upgrade your father to at least 37 markers, assuming the match also has tested 37 or more markers, to see if the match holds up at a more reliable testing level.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                You've assumed that your Family Finder match to this 12 marker STR match to your father is coming from your paternal side. He can be matching you in Family Finder on your maternal side, so your assumption may be wrong. Ordering Family Finder for your father will be necessary to see if your assumption is correct.

Also, with just 12 markers tested, the match could be fairly meaningless, especially if the haplogroup is R-M269. Many, if not most, matches at the 12 and 25 marker levels represent a common ancestor more than 1,000 years ago. You'll need to upgrade your father to at least 37 markers, assuming the match also has tested 37 or more markers, to see if the match holds up at a more reliable testing level.
                My assumption was based on the fact that both this match and my father share the same last name. I do plan on doing a family finder on both my parents soon.

My father is in that haplogroup, the match in question has only tested at the 12 marker level. I definitely plan on upgrading my father soon.

Comment

Working...
                X