Genetic distance of 0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic distance of 0

Sorry for how many recent questions I've had. I'm slowly figuring this out. I also hired a professional to look over our results since I just don't have the time to fully read up on understanding the sites. Next week though I'll have a few long days where I'll be able to.

Anyways I've been looking at my son's YDNA test and his markers only match at 12 & 25. Zero at 37. The page I kept seeing was set to 25 markers and showed 12 results. Three with a distance of 1 and nine with a distance of 2. Tonight while looking again I noticed if I change it to 12 markers it gave me tons of matches with a distance of 0. Someone told me that since the match was at the 25 marker they must be related but be very distantly related. Is having a distance of 0 better? Or do you want matches at more markers? I'm looking at building a closer family tree now and working up later. Is there anyway I can see how much cM they share? I can't seem to to find these people in the family finder test. I'm not sure why I didn't see this list before. When I go to his YDNA test it takes me to the 25 marker test list of 12 only. I'll have 3 days while my son is in the hospital next week to actually read and research how the sites works. I kept getting emails saying a new YDNA match was found and now I found them in his list. He has 4232 matches with a distance of 0 at 12 markers.

You need for your son to have a close match at 37 markers in order for the matching to be genealogically relevant. Since there aren't any matches at 37 markers then there isn't anyone in the database that is sharing markers that is a genealogical relevant match. The father of your son is from a family that hasn't tested and shared their Y-DNA results. At this point the only way to find matches related in a recent genealogical time frame is looking for close autosomal matches as I had explained at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...98&postcount=3

Comment

Yes, a GD of 0 is better. It means no differences from your results which in turn means the person is more likely to be related to you more recently. It isn't always the case as some people with GD of 0 at Y111 can still be a few hundred years away from their most recent ancestor. When you view your matches, it first tries to find matches at the testing level you have taken in this case 37 STRs. If it finds no matches, it goes down to 25. If you had none at 25, it would have dropped down to 12.

As for how many centimorgans you share with Y-DNA matches, that is not related to the Y-DNA test. To see cM amounts, you look at your Family Finder results as that will test for that. The people you share Y-DNA with could possibly share no autosomal DNA with you (your son) whatsoever. This is why autosomal DNA (Family Finder) can only help with recent generations while Y-DNA can reach thousands of years in the past before surnames began to be used.

When viewing Y-DNA matches, you will notice the level of testing like "Y-DNA67". If it also has "FF" next to that it means they took the Family Finder test. So you could check your FF matches to see if they are indeed a match to you there. If they are, maybe the connection is more recent or it is not related to Y-DNA since FF deals with all your branches.

Matches at 12 and 25 STR markers are too distant unless you and/or your matches did not test higher. In that case, upgrading would be useful to let you know if they are meaningful matches or not. If they have "Y-DNA37" or higher but do not show up in those levels, they aren't close matches.
      Last edited by The_Contemplator; 10th April 2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Beginner Question

I am not understanding the matches. Right now I have a match with 67 markers with a distance of 7, and a match with 37 markers with a distance of 4. If I understand this so far, the 37 marker match would suggest a greater connection? Tried contacting this match, which oddly is named Rodney Stewart, but, they have not responded, sadly. In the Ross DNA Project I have a bunch of 12 marker matches with 0 and 1, which is probably not going to help me at this time. Those connections are with Ross, Ros, Rois, and Rose. I await a reply to help my understanding of this process. I have upgraded to the Y-111 and match no one.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaRoss View Post
          I am not understanding the matches. Right now I have a match with 67 markers with a distance of 7, and a match with 37 markers with a distance of 4. If I understand this so far, the 37 marker match would suggest a greater connection? Tried contacting this match, which oddly is named [removed], but, they have not responded, sadly. In the Ross DNA Project I have a bunch of 12 marker matches with 0 and 1, which is probably not going to help me at this time. Those connections are with Ross, Ros, Rois, and Rose. I await a reply to help my understanding of this process. I have upgraded to the Y-111 and match no one.
          If the 37 marker match has had a 67 marker test then he is even more distant in STR markers than the 67 marker match. You need more close matches and a haplogroup admin to help you out with the likelihood of a recent common ancestor but in some cases they could be from as far back as 2,000 or 3,000 years ago.

Comment

As well as their surname project, a beginner can also join their general FTDNA haplogroup project to see where they might fit with many others. Some subclades have off-modal STR patterns that can occasionally give useful clues.

For R1b:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r1b/

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-p312

Comment

No Genetic Distance 0 Matches

I feel like my y-DNA test was all for naught. I have no Genetic Distance 0 matches. From what I have read this means that the three Genetic Distance 1 matches that I have could go back 1,000 years?? There is no way to prove that on paper. It also means that none of my direct ancestors have DNA in the database. What a waste!

Comment

Originally posted by RoryBowers View Post
                I feel like my y-DNA test was all for naught. I have no Genetic Distance 0 matches. From what I have read this means that the three Genetic Distance 1 matches that I have could go back 1,000 years?? There is no way to prove that on paper. It also means that none of my direct ancestors have DNA in the database. What a waste!
                Not sure where you heard that but not true at all unless you mean for only 12 markers. How many markers have you tested and how close are your closest matches? Even a father and son can sometimes have a difference of 1.

Comment

I have no Genetic Distance 0 matches. From what I have read this means that the three Genetic Distance 1 matches that I have could go back 1,000 years??
                  For the GD's of 1, how many markers are being compared? While it is possible that your most recent common male ancestor with someone you have a GD of 1 (or even a GD of 0) with "could" be thousands of years ago, if the GD of 1 is based on a comparison of 67 or 111 markers, your most recent common ancestor is probably much more recent -- within the past few hundred years, at least if you share the same or a similar surname with the other men. Heck, a certain percentage of sons have a GD of 1 from their own fathers. A GD of 1 just means that there is one mutational difference between the two tests. That mutation could have happened in the immediately prior generation or any earlier one, but the fact that there is only one mutational difference suggests that not that many generations have gone by since the common ancestor.

Comment

Also some markers mutate more frequently than others.

Comment

Even at only 12 markers there are cases where father and son are a genetic distance of one! If a marker mutates once every 1,000 years, do you know when the last mutation occurred in your line? Maybe it was 1,001 years ago. Also remember mutation rates are the average rate for 1,000s of lines, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                        Even at only 12 markers there are cases where father and son are a genetic distance of one! If a marker mutates once every 1,000 years, do you know when the last mutation occurred in your line? Maybe it was 1,001 years ago. Also remember mutation rates are the average rate for 1,000s of lines, not yours.
                        I wondered if an ancestor say 300 years ago who was malnourished or exposed to severe environmental hazards (e.g. mercury laden hats) had a different rate of mutation than one brought up in idyllic circumstances?

Jack Wyatt

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                          I wondered if an ancestor say 300 years ago who was malnourished or exposed to severe environmental hazards (e.g. mercury laden hats) had a different rate of mutation than one brought up in idyllic circumstances?

Jack Wyatt
                          or who was older

Mr. W

Comment

Working...
                          X