• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FVCZ
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2015

Zero matches

I just got my Y test results and have zero matches at any distance for 12, 25, or 37 markers. I do have a predicted haplogroup. Would it be beneficial to have more markers tested?
    Thanks!
  • lgmayka
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2006

To which haplogroup are you predicted to belong? Have you joined the corresponding project?

Comment

• FVCZ
      FTDNA Customer
      • Oct 2015

I-M223. No, I haven't joined the project yet. Is that the next recommended step?

Comment

• David Guetta
        Y-DNA: R-FGC41890 mtDNA: H49a1
        • Jan 2015

Yep, always good to join the relevant haplogroup project, also a surname project and possibly a geographical project as well if there are ones that are applicable for you. If you're predicted I-M223 you should join this project: https://www.familytreedna.com/my/gro...spx?group=I2b1 Do you happen to have a null/0 value for any of your STRs on your STR results page?

Comment

• FVCZ
          FTDNA Customer
          • Oct 2015

No, there are no null/0 values listed on the STR values page.

Comment

• amylou122
            FTDNA Customer
            • Apr 2014

Zero Matches

I've not had matches for my male cousin at Y-12, 25, or 37 level in over 6 years.....NONE. I was so sure that there had been a mistake, I paid $75.00 for the lab to retest. The results were exactly the same, and still no matches. My tester is from an early American family with a common surname, so it's just inconceivable that no one has ever tested in his line. The typical explanation is "it happens." So, we wait or try to recruit another cousin to test, which will be very difficult.

Comment

• JMSaxby
              FTDNA Customer
              • Dec 2013

Y-37 no matches

I just got my husband's Y-37 test back and he has zero matches at any level. I wasn't sure if they just sent me the notice too early and the test has not finished processing or this is a real possibility of no matches, even distant ones. His last name is Stevens and Haplogroup R-M198. His Family Finder test has 24 pages of matches.

Comment

• Frederator
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by JMSaxby View Post
                I just got my husband's Y-37 test back and he has zero matches at any level. I wasn't sure if they just sent me the notice too early and the test has not finished processing or this is a real possibility of no matches, even distant ones. His last name is Stevens and Haplogroup R-M198. His Family Finder test has 24 pages of matches.
                To my knowledge, no one has ever done anything remotely resembling a methodologically rigorous poll on the subject. But based on nearly a decade of personal experience and anecdotes shared along the way, I'll guess that the vast majority of people never get useful matches. I never have, and I've come to accept that I never will.

On these forums you'll see a small handful of extremely active users who may give you the impression that everybody's getting all these great Y DNA matches every day. A tiny percentage of people do. But they aren't representative of the majority, who get so quickly bored with their non-results that they never post anything.

Try upgrading to 67 or 111 markers if your husband is that into it. There is a slim possibility that his Y DNA relatives are out there, but through dumb luck all the mis-matches occur on the early panels. The match might very well register at the higher marker levels.

But don't count on it. Like I said, I think most people never get anything out of their Y tests.

You could work harder on the autosomal DNA. It's a lot harder to interpret, and you're not guaranteed matches on any particular line, but because female line descendants are so much more plentiful your chances are a lot better.

You could try opening a Gedmatch account, which allows him to directly compare (with better tools, I might add) with a lot more people. It could be the case that a lot of very good autosomal matches are at Gedmatch. Some of my best ones are.

Up to you.

Comment

• lgmayka
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JMSaxby View Post
                  His last name is Stevens and Haplogroup R-M198.
                  Have you joined his account to the R1a Project?

Comment

• Brunetmj
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jan 2011

I think the probability of a match decreases the further your ancestry varies from Irish / British isles. These groups comprise the bulk of the database. My line is Norman via Quebec and I have no exact matches with only a handful on gentic distance of 1 at 12 markers and nothing at all beyond 12 markers. However I remain optimistic as DNA testing seems to increasing in popularity world wide.

Comment

• JMSaxby
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
                      Have you joined his account to the R1a Project?

Not yet, I just got the results but I will

Comment

• JMSaxby
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Dec 2013

I understand not having any good matches, I was surprised he has none at all. Hopefully more people will test and eventually something will match. I don't think testing for more would provide matches if he doesn't even have poor matches now.

Comment

Working...
                        X