Value of R1b snp sale test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of R1b snp sale test

I received notification of the sale for this.
    I have two brick walls I'm trying to solve (I'm manager for both my brother (father's side) & male cousin (mother's/ fathers side). Brother has 2 matches at 4 level 37. Family: I know nothing earlier than 1876 (Germany)

My male cousin (several matches test 67 at3 &4 with no same last name anywhere. I trace back to 1814 with this line - Prior in USA, butnames GGGrandfather unknown.

Would this test assist with breaking the brick wall. Cousin shows matches at 25/37/67 many,67 not as many. Brother at 25 few, at 37 only 2.
    Any value in testing in these instances?

In general, SNP tests are not designed to help folks break through their brick walls in their paper genealogy.

Next Generation Sequence (NGS) testing, such as the Big Y does technically have the ability to come down to roughly the Nineteenth Century so in theory, it can sometimes be used to break through brick walls (but it is like using a sledge hammer to put a nail in the wall).

The purpose of SNP testing, including NGS type testing, is to document your ancient ancestry from man's common ancestor forward. For instance, SNP testing discovered where my male Wing surname is "fairly" closely related to the Howland family of Mayflower fame. However, in this case closely means within the last thousand years or so.

Depending on the time frame of your brick wall ancestor, autosomal DNA is typically the best type of test to use. However, autosomal DNA testing does have its limits and your brick wall from 1814 may be too far back in time for this type of testing to provide definitive answers.

To use the tool analogy, in many cases there is no good tool to use for the job, so sometimes you either use a tool poorly fit for the job at hand, or wait to complete the job until a new tool is obtained/found.

Comment

Determining your terminal SNP will tell you which y-DNA matches might be meaningful and which can definitely be ignored.

The only y-DNA matches that one should pay attention to are those that share the terminal SNP. If they don't, any similarity, even if 67/67 is the result of convergence rather than shared descent.

Once you determine the terminal SNP, you will still have a few matches who share it. If any of them have a low genetic distance, they might be closely related. Use Family Finder to ascertain whether they are close enough for a significant amount of autosomal DNA to be shared. I suggest using a field of descendants from your Brick Wall ancestor for autosomal comparisons.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Thank you for the information. Both responses were very helpful!

Comment

Working...
        X