Testing at Y-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing at Y-12

If you have done family finder is there a way to do a Y-12 test and then have the option to upgrade it later or do you have to test at Y37? That the lowest test I see offered. I know earlier this year I saw where you could get a Y-12 test for around $59 if I remember correctly but I do not know where it was at. I can't find it on here now.

Originally posted by LarryBurford View Post
    If you have done family finder is there a way to do a Y-12 test and then have the option to upgrade it later or do you have to test at Y37? That the lowest test I see offered. I know earlier this year I saw where you could get a Y-12 test for around $59 if I remember correctly but I do not know where it was at. I can't find it on here now.
    You can order Y-DNA12 through some group project join pages (the ones with open membership with no join request needed). If there is not a group project for your surname there may be a geographical region group project that would be applicable to you.

Comment

They do not have a surname project for Burford. I tried to set one up last year but nobody at FTDNA would respond to my request. I do have some other paternal lines in my family I would like to check. There may be a project for them that do the Y-12 test.

Comment

You can still order the Y-DNA12 test. You may have to call
        (713) 868-1438. I'm not sure of their phone hours but I believe they stop taking calls at noon Houston time on Fridays.

Comment

Thanks,
          I will call Monday to ask.
          Larry

Comment

Thanks,
            I will call Monday to ask.
            Larry
            I'm not anywhere close to being an expert on Y-DNA, but I don't understand the reason for doing just 12 markers. I've only seen Y-12 to cause confusion, and almost everything that comes up as a match falls out when you get more markers. Y-25 is only a bit better. I do not think either merit any brain power being wasted on them. If I am advising someone, I tell them to do nothing less that Y-37. As I say, I am not the expert, but I welcome thoughts on this from those that are.

Comment

If I could afford to I would do at least Y-67 on everyone I test. My funds are limited so my reasoning on Y-12 would be to secure test samples in the data base for other lines in my family for the cheapest price possible and then do up grades as I can afford it to I get them to at least Y-37. I would not leave them at Y-12 because I agree with you that Y-12 is not very helpful. If I wait and do some of these tests later or do one Y-67 a year as I can afford to some of the people I want to test could die. We are always only a heartbeat away from loosing the opportunity to get a sample from someone. I thought I saw a Y-12 test for $59 last year. I can scrape that up a lot easier than $169. It's just an idea I had to get more family in the testing process.
              Last edited by LarryBurford; 25 July 2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

If I could afford to I would do at least Y-67 on everyone I test. My funds are limited so my reasoning on Y-12 would be to secure test samples in the data base for other lines in my family for the cheapest price possible and then do up grades as I can afford it to I get them to at least Y-37. I would not leave them at Y-12 because I agree with you that Y-12 is not very helpful. If I wait and do some of these tests later or do one Y-67 a year as I can afford to some of the people I want to test could die. We are always only a heartbeat away from loosing the opportunity to get a sample from someone.
                OK, your sample is already out there? You are just trying to get others sampled at the lowest possible price?

I had a friend that has been doing Y-DNA testing for years tell me that a (12,0) match means that you are a member of the human race. I had just received the 12 panel marker back and I was estimated to be in a completely different haplogroup from what was expected with my surname and presumed ancestry. I was desperate to figure out what happened and one surname came up a lot at (12,0). I almost made a fool out of myself, but when the 25 markers came in, all of those matches dropped out. I would just make it clear to those tht get the test that it does not mean much.

Comment

Yes, I was just inquiring about getting others started for the lowest price. My Y study is my Dad's that I tested at Y-67. I have not done my own Y test yet since mine will be the same as my dad's but I have done the family finder on myself and my dad. I did my Mom's brother at Y-37 last year and upgraded to Y-67 during the fathers day sale. I also tested one of my dad's distant Burford cousins and later upgraded him to Y-67.

Comment

You can order yDNA12 through following projects page

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                      You can order yDNA12 through following projects page

https://www.familytreedna.com/group-...x?Group=Polish
                      Thanks for the link

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                        I'm not anywhere close to being an expert on Y-DNA, but I don't understand the reason for doing just 12 markers. I've only seen Y-12 to cause confusion, and almost everything that comes up as a match falls out when you get more markers. Y-25 is only a bit better. I do not think either merit any brain power being wasted on them. If I am advising someone, I tell them to do nothing less that Y-37. As I say, I am not the expert, but I welcome thoughts on this from those that are.
                        You get a predicted Haplogroup with the Y-DNA12 test. That might be all that is wanted. Y-DNA12 can prove two people don't share a common paternal ancestor with different predicted Haplotree branches. It can be a great way to get someone else interested and then they might pay to upgrade. For a person with a limited budget it is better than nothing.

I recommend the Y-DNA67 test in most cases, but I see a place for the 12 marker test.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE the y-12 kits!! WHY? Because I travel to remote locations in Mexico and the cheaper price allows me to get DNA samples and since I pay for everything I am doing (I am not a money tree) access to the y-12s let's me do this!!! Much of the time I am trying to confirm a 2 out of 3 haplo match before I add or pursue the "individual" surname to my own Californio DNA Project. Doing each as a 37 would make this impossible . After researching trees etc then I can move onto 37 or 67 and/or FF. If I could not get these Y-12 kits, my personal project would go down the tubes.....unless I won the lottery! Most of the places I test at I will never return due to distance and remoteness....

Comment

Originally posted by TMontes View Post
                            I absolutely LOVE the y-12 kits!! WHY? Because I travel to remote locations in Mexico and the cheaper price allows me to get DNA samples and since I pay for everything I am doing (I am not a money tree) access to the y-12s let's me do this!!! Much of the time I am trying to confirm a 2 out of 3 haplo match before I add or pursue the "individual" surname to my own Californio DNA Project. Doing each as a 37 would make this impossible . After researching trees etc then I can move onto 37 or 67 and/or FF. If I could not get these Y-12 kits, my personal project would go down the tubes.....unless I won the lottery! Most of the places I test at I will never return due to distance and remoteness....
                            You have the same Idea I have about the Y-12 tests.

Comment

You have the same Idea I have about the Y-12 tests.
                              I also agree, I always keep two or three Y-12 tests on hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X