Still stuck at R-M269

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
    If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably just go with the M458 SNP panel from Yseq.
    FTDNA is very slowly rolling out its own SNP panels, but clearly Yseq is much nimbler.

Back in November, we presented FTDNA with a complete proposal for a Z280 SNP panel. We have never heard anything about it since then, so we haven't even bothered proposing SNP panels for any other branches of R1a.

Comment

Originally posted by bvlenci View Post
      Thanks, I found the coupon on the R1b group activities page. I'm still hesitating because it's an awful lot of money. Does anyone know how long it's currently taking? (Considering that I've just got the results of the Y-111 test I ordered last September.)
      I paid for a Big Y on April 2. The predicted date of completion is June 3-June 17. Two people have told me they got their results sooner than the prediction, but that was then and this is now.
      I believe the labs at FTdna are jammed with customers who used coupons to place their orders. So I don't expect my results any sooner than June or July.
      By-the-way, I get a daily coupon posted by most of the projects I am in. Join more projects!!! The admins can give you help with predicting what groups you may be in. It doesn't have to be a shot in the dark. I would have saved a little money if I had asked Steve Gilbert for help [R-U152 project] before buying 2 out of 3 possible subclade SNPs. He told me I was probably in the 3rd group based on certain strs I had.

Comment

<< It got me a prospective terminal SNP, but aside from that, I haven't gotten much utility out of it. >>

Does that mean the SNP wasn't tested, just predicted?

Comment

With my Big-Y test I was to R-Z12 as that was as far as the FTDNA Haplotree went. I then had my results analyzed by FGC and received a bettered defined SNP. I had 66 novel or private SNPs listed by FTDNA. After FGC and the U106 project finished analyzing the results I was down to 17. The U106 Project is comparing all the Big-Y results in the project and layering out common SNPs. With a new Big-Y test that posted today my 17 novel SNPs has gone down to 3. Today's result is with someone who is a match to me on the 67 marker Y-DNA test but is not listed as a match to me at 111 markers. My goal for testing the Big-Y was partly to find relatives but even more is to find the origins of my family line through my matches.

Comment

Big Y also gives you a whole list of novel variants. One of them is likely your terminal SNP. But a lot of us have 20 to 40 novel variants that are shared with no one. After others participate, by studying their novel variants & yours, administrators, as well as the folks at ISOGG & Yfull will be able to determine the hierarchy of your novel variants & take the SNP tree down to a far more personal level.

The best thing you can do for both yourself & the Genetic Genealogy community is to make sure that Big Y testers are part of a haplogroup project & give the administrators access to your BAM file.

If everyone who is estimated to be at R1b M269 or even several clades below that, would do the Big Y, we would all learn a lot more. I think the key thing will be to try to reach out to these people, let them know that the days when y-str ruled the roost are long gone. We can all do better! The sales help. Subsidies from projects help.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
              ...the days when y-str ruled the roost are long gone. We can all do better! ...

Timothy Peterman
              Hear hear. And with luck, the days of STR match lists with obvious false positives (ie disproven by SNPs) in them will go too.

Comment

I wonder whether we would see Big Y Edition M-269 or Big Y Edition R coming out in the near future...

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Would make sense for those with y-str matches to be able to limit them to the terminal SNP, and/ or maybe a few upstream SNPs, just like we can do at the Big Y page.

As people see Family Tree DNA doing more with Big Y results (that is visible to the end user), they will take a greater interest.

I envision a day, perhaps 5 or 10 years from now, when so many have tested with Big Y or something similar that the current haplotree will morph into an enormous tree showing the descent of all participants from a MRCA, with nodes representing about every 5 generations. A genealogical standard will develop in which all patrilines will be expected to be placed on this tree.

We can all help this become a reality by encouraging others to do the Big Y test.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

It would be very nice, if Big Y was included in the list of tests shown as taken by the matches. At least when viewing Y STR results .

W. (Mr.)

Comment

<< It got me a prospective terminal SNP, but aside from that, I haven't gotten much utility out of it. >>

Does that mean the SNP wasn't tested, just predicted?
                      No, it means that I got YP444* as my terminal SNP, indicating that I'm negative for all currently known subclades of YP444.

My terminal SNP may still change if more YP444+ men test and one my 'novel variants' actually identifies a common subclade.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
                        No, it means that I got YP444* as my terminal SNP, indicating that I'm negative for all currently known subclades of YP444.

My terminal SNP may still change if more YP444+ men test and one my 'novel variants' actually identifies a common subclade.
                        According to YFull's haplotree, your lineage diverged from (what would become) YP445 roughly 1300 years ago.

As soon as another Big Y participant matches one of your "Novel" (unshared) SNPs, you and he will belong to a new subclade.

Comment

As long as it costs close to $1000, there aren't going to be hordes of people rushing to do the big-Y tests.

Comment

As long as it costs close to $1000, there aren't going to be hordes of people rushing to do the big-Y tests.
                            That's right, those who have ordered it to date could really still be called "early adopters".

With continuing competition between manufacturers of FGS test equipment to bring to market faster and cheaper models, coupled with competition between testing companies, we hope that the cost of FGS type testing will continue to fall year by year.

Comment

FTDNA's Big Y has a regular price of $575. But they started issuing $100-off coupons in February, which brings the price down to $475. This is close enough to the price of Y-DNA111 for me, as a project administrator, to recommend that men order the mininum (Y-DNA12 with a $20-off coupon) and then the Big Y.

To be fair, though, most Big Y results need professional analysis from YFull, which costs another $49.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
                                To be fair, though, most Big Y results need professional analysis from YFull, which costs another $49.
                                ... although in the U106 Project we have some pretty good data and number crunchers on the job analyzing Big Y results for project members.

Comment

Working...
                                X