Why did my haplogroup change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did my haplogroup change?

When I first got my Y results a couple months ago, it listed me as R-U106. Then a couple weeks later, it changed to R-Z160, which is what my closest match has, who I believe shares 4th gr. grandfather with me. It stayed at R-Z160 for quite a long time.

Now, all of a sudden it has changed to R-M269. My closest match remains as R-Z160, but me and my other next closest matches have changed.

What gives and what does this mean? My paternal ancestors are from N. Ireland by way of Scotland, believed to have originally come from Denmark hundreds of years ago.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to trust the results if they've already changed thrice in a few months???

Have you purchased a SNP test?

if not your SNP is predicted based on STR marker values. These predictions are based on others that have had SNP tests and their STR values. As it is refined predicted SNP may no longer fit in a SNP Group.

Ones that have not changed more then likely have tested positive for that SNP (purchased SNP test)and this SNP is listed in the terminal SNP column or listed in Green on projects results page.

Until you test positive for a SNP it is all an assumption to which subclade you belong to....

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      Have you purchased a SNP test?

if not your SNP is predicted based on STR marker values. These predictions are based on others that have had SNP tests and their STR values. As it is refined predicted SNP may no longer fit in a SNP Group.

Ones that have not changed more then likely have tested positive for that SNP (purchased SNP test)and this SNP is listed in the terminal SNP column or listed in Green on projects results page.

Until you test positive for a SNP it is all an assumption to which subclade you belong to....
      FTDNA tried to offer more and more precise predictions of SNPs based on STRs only. And you witnessed that yourself.

However, when more people tested, it turned out to be an impossible task. Not because they did not have the necessary know-how, but because STRs only correlate with SNPs, meaning there are people with very different subclade SNPs who have the same set of STR results.

FTDNA had to revert to their previous policy of assigning only a general group. Please read
      What is the SNP Assurance Program? What is a backbone test? and
      What is tested with the SNP Assurance Program? at the Family Tree DNA Learning Center
      http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/p...nce-program-2/

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
      Quite likely, you are R-Z160, but that cannot be predicted from STRs alone.

Comment

Working...
      X