Help Please - Results just in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please - Results just in!

Hi all, wonder if someone could point me in the right direction?

So my Y67 results just came in today and my Haplogroup is J-M172.

I have lots of matches, but the top one is a GD of 0 (they have tested Y111), but there Haplogroup is slightly different to mine at J-L560. What does this mean? Is this match worth following up on?

I also have 11 matchs at a GD of 1, a few of these share the same Haplogroup as me, and the one that stands out here is someone whos surname is 1 letter different to mine, also tested up to Y67 only and has the same haplogroup.

What sort of GD do people use as a cut off for following up matches with?

Any help would be greta thanks!

Can any one offer some advice?

Comment

Do you have lots of matches at 67 markers ? Or at 12 only ?

Your haplogroup is only predicted. So your J-M172 is more general than his J-L560 (I am assuming that his J-L560 is in green meaning that he tested for it). Find both of them on your tree https://www.familytreedna.com/my/y-dna-haplotree

I would contact everybody matching at 67 marker level, starting with those having GD=0, then GD=1 etc. Once you are familiar with their trees and possibly made a connection, it would be easier to find connections to those having GD=2 and GD=3 at 67 markers.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Hi, firstly thanks for replying!

So, on my matches screen, this man's Haplogroup is not in Green but it mentions L560 as his Terminal SNP?

Now if mine is only predicted, I assume this means I need to spend more money and test SNP's, but how do I know what to test?

Basically, at 67 markers I have one match at 0 GD (67/67), 11 matches at 1 GD (66/67) and 27 matches at 2 GD (65/67)....

But no matching surnames.....(or any matches to what I 'know' my surname originally to be!!)

Comment

I'm sorry about the green. Yes, in the matches table, that would be the Terminal SNP column.

Since you have so many close matches, possibly a Big Y test could be a better option. Especially, if those matching you had already taken it.

Those who are at GD=1 to you, have at most GD=2 among themselves. So if you get in touch with them, you may learn whether they are from a single location and/or clan. Or maybe it is just a pure random convergence of STR values that made them and you look like a close family.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Thanks again! I've just fired one email off to a GD 1 match and the email was returned straight away as a delivery failure!! So that one can be scrapped!

Unfortunately I don't have the spare cash for a Big Y test right now. I've joined the J-m172 Project but can't see how to contact the administrator or find anyone to talk to in the project!

Comment

Big Y would allow you to easily find who your closest blood relatives are from those who match your STRs. As you noticed, Big Y is expensive. However, there are coupons for $100 off. More importantly, you can compare yourself only with other Big Y test takers (or privately with those who took a comparable test elsewhere). Thus if your matches did not take Big Y and do not intend to take the Big Y test, it would not help you.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
              Big Y will tell you your terminal SNP.

Comment

Originally posted by Seth_Rogoff View Post
                So, on my matches screen, this man's Haplogroup is not in Green but it mentions L560 as his Terminal SNP?

Now if mine is only predicted, I assume this means I need to spend more money and test SNP's, but how do I know what to test?
                L560 is already very specific. Here is YFull's tree for L560. (L560 is at the same level as L556.)

So have you considered ordering the L560 SNP test for yourself?

Comment

Thanks for the replies

So my exact match has a terminal SNP of L560 and I also have matches of GD 1 that have terminal SNPs of L560 and one of M92.

So is it worth me first testing these two SNPs?

So once I test these and if they test positive, what exactly does this mean? Will I get more matches or will it just mean if somone doesn't share the same SNP as me then we aren't related?

Apologies if this is a silly question but I'm just staring off on the YDNA journey!

Thanks again

Comment

Thanks for the replies

So my exact match has a terminal SNP of L560 and I also have matches of GD 1 that have terminal SNPs of L560 and one of M92.

So once I test these and if they test positive, what exactly does this mean? Will I get more matches or will it just mean if somone doesn't share the same SNP as me then we aren't related?

Apologies if this is a silly question but I'm just staring off on the YDNA journey!

Thanks again
                    Take your time and think about what you are doing. You must have the same terminal SNP as your matches as they are very close.

Comment

M92 is extremely general--there is no reason to test for it. Testing L560 is a reasonable thing to do.

If you get the expected L560+ result, it means that you are patrilineally closer to all other L560+ men than to any L560- men.

The alternative would be to test for one or both of L560's subclades (Y11782 and Y9005), if tests are available for either of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X