Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    L226,a typo.
    Thanks. So then it's M269>L21>DF13>Z253>L226 in FTDNA tree. Yes, he should order the L226 SNP test.

If he is positive for that marker and if he ever purchases the BigY he can be placed on the YFull tree for L226 which has several other markers and will probably have some more in the next few months. http://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L226/

Comment

So I should order the L-226 SNP and see if that is positive for my brother. If it isn't will he get flipped back into the R-M269 level again? LOL Makes his haplogroup sound like a pancake.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
        So I should order the L-226 SNP and see if that is positive for my brother. If it isn't will he get flipped back into the R-M269 level again? LOL Makes his haplogroup sound like a pancake.
        Yes, you should order the L226 SNP for your brother. If he is negative you should order the L21 SNP using the following steps. Log into his account then go to https://www.familytreedna.com/upgrad...V&category=SNP then type in L21 then click FIND then click ADD then click Order Now and so on.

Your brother's predicted SNP won't change until SNP tests show him to be at a different level. L226 is below L21 so a negative L226 wouldn't change the L21 prediction. A negative L21 test would change the prediction. However, you want to start with the SNP furthest down the haplotree that he is likely to be positive for based on the 67 marker matches.

If you brother is L226+ then you should ask his L226 matches what other SNP testing they have done and also ask the L21 matches to also test for L226.

Comment

Yes and I would be surprised if he isn't L226.

Comment

no don't order the l226, waste of money.

first go see who you match with and see whats common with their final snp.
            don't worry about surname, just see what everybody else has.

second there is an l21 predictor out there where you enter your data and it will predict the route your snp are going.

l21 is a british, scotland, ireland and southern europe snp it is a R1b1,

also google the family name and dan and see what common with their final.

l226 is out in the boonies, you could spend a lot of wasted cash and not get any where close, let other people spend their money and learn from their mistake

Comment

Most (12 out of 16 matches) for my brother at 67 markers (distance 4-5) are in the L-226 Haplogroup and have terminal SNPs of L-226. The other 4 matches at 4 to 5 steps, 3 are L-21, and 1 is M-269 which is where my brother started.
              Sounds like all of them are actually L226+ , but a few have not actually tested that SNP.

Until the end of the month, an individual SNP test costs only $24 with the 15for15 coupon.

Comment

I have a similar question. I recently got my FTDNA 37-marker results which show my haplogroup to be R-M269. I'm of Scots ancestry and have paper records that show my family line goes back 200 years in Scotland.

Yet the matches I'm getting mostly come from England, Wales and Germany. Only one exact match is from Scotland. I belong to a surname project which shows several people with my exact surname who have at least the same first five markers I do, but it seems I might not be related to them.

The large number of German matches leads me to wonder if I belong to the R-U106 or rather to R-L21 subgroup.

R-M269 as a result seems terribly generic and not terribly helpful for me in trying to understand whether I'm actually of Scots or English ancestry. It turns out my surname can be found in England and Scotland but it's much more common in Scotland.

Would upgrading to a 67, or even 111-marker test let me answer this question?

Comment

Originally posted by Zipzap View Post
                  I have a similar question. I recently got my FTDNA 37-marker results which show my haplogroup to be R-M269. I'm of Scots ancestry and have paper records that show my family line goes back 200 years in Scotland.

Yet the matches I'm getting mostly come from England, Wales and Germany. Only one exact match is from Scotland. I belong to a surname project which shows several people with my exact surname who have at least the same first five markers I do, but it seems I might not be related to them.

The large number of German matches leads me to wonder if I belong to the R-U106 or rather to R-L21 subgroup.

R-M269 as a result seems terribly generic and not terribly helpful for me in trying to understand whether I'm actually of Scots or English ancestry. It turns out my surname can be found in England and Scotland but it's much more common in Scotland.

Where can we look at your 37 marker results to give an opinion about the possible haplogroup/subclade? Do you have a ysearch account or are you in a public project where we can see your results? If so, what's your ysearch ID or in what project can we see your results?

In answer to your question, upgrading to 67 markers would probably give the answer of whether you're U106+ or not. The 66th marker is DYS492. Among those who are R-M269, about 95% of U106+ men have DYS492=13 and about 95% of U106- men have DYS492=12. But if you can point us to your results, there are other markers in the first 37 that may indicate your U106 status, although not as strongly as DYS492.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    Where can we look at your 37 marker results to give an opinion about the possible haplogroup/subclade? Do you have a ysearch account or are you in a public project where we can see your results? If so, what's your ysearch ID or in what project can we see your results?

In answer to your question, upgrading to 67 markers would probably give the answer of whether you're U106+ or not. The 66th marker is DYS492. Among those who are R-M269, about 95% of U106+ men have DYS492=13 and about 95% of U106- men have DYS492=12. But if you can point us to your results, there are other markers in the first 37 that may indicate your U106 status, although not as strongly as DYS492.
                    I'm part of the Strother surname group. My y-search user ID is 8V8F9.

Comment

L226 info

This is in reference to previous posts about L226 and possibly wasting money on an L226 snp test. L226 has an unmistakable STR haplotype which is easily detected by loading your results into this tool, assuming you have 67 markers tested:
                      http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/SNP_Predictor/index.php

My son's L226 gets this result:
                      L226 90% 8 9 88.9% 6

To detect the haplotype yourself, without the tool, check here:
                      http://www.irishtype3dna.org/index.php#whathaplo

Nothing else is close. My grandpa's R-L21/DF13/CTS1751 is another story. Loaded into that tool, nothing is close, and there is no discernible STR haplotype for that group. All probabilities are at 0% though, arguably, these 2 lineages are basically equivalents for CTS1751:

L144 & L195 (K) 0% 2 12 16.7% 21
                      L144 & L195 (W) 0% 1 8 12.5% 20

They are 12th and 13th on the list.

Comment

I'm part of the Strother surname group. My y-search user ID is 8V8F9.
                        Since I forgot to ask for your kit number and you didn't give it, I don't know which are your results in the Strother project. So, I checked your ysearch ID.

I did a search for all those who differ with you on 5 or less markers at 37 markers. There were 27 matches.

Since you're interested in whether you're U106+ or not, I looked at the matches with 67 markers to see what their count is for DYS492. I had mentioned in my previous post that it's a good indicator for being U106+ when DYS492=13.

There are 14 of your matches who have 67 markers. Of those, only one has DYS492=13. Based on that alone, I think it's unlikely that you're U106+.

Of course, STR counts are only indicators. Only a SNP test will give you certainty.
                        Last edited by MMaddi; 22 March 2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                          Since I forgot to ask for your kit number and you didn't give it, I don't know which are your results in the Strother project. So, I checked your ysearch ID.

I did a search for all those who differ with you on 5 or less markers at 37 markers. There were 27 matches.

Since you're interested in whether you're U106+ or not, I looked at the matches with 67 markers to see what their count is for DYS492. I had mentioned in my previous post that it's a good indicator for being U106+ when DYS492=13.

There are 14 of your matches who have 67 markers. Of those, only one has DYS492=13. Based on that alone, I think it's unlikely that you're U106+.

Of course, STR counts are only indicators. Only a SNP test will give you certainty.
                          I recently stumbled across a web page called Little Scottish Cluster http://littlescottishcluster.com/characteristic.html where typical markers for L21 are posted and compared with markers for those who belong to the Little Scottish Cluster.

I was surprised to discover most of the markers for L21 match my markers, leading me to suspect I'm L21 and not U106. Several of the members of the Strother surname project, (including those whose surname is Struthers) are L21.

Of course, getting a 67-marker test and a L21 and maybe even a M222 SNP test will help me nail down my hypothesis.

Comment

I recently stumbled across a web page called Little Scottish Cluster http://littlescottishcluster.com/characteristic.html where typical markers for L21 are posted and compared with markers for those who belong to the Little Scottish Cluster.

I was surprised to discover most of the markers for L21 match my markers, leading me to suspect I'm L21 and not U106. Several of the members of the Strother surname project, (including those whose surname is Struthers) are L21.

Of course, getting a 67-marker test and a L21 and maybe even a M222 SNP test will help me nail down my hypothesis.
                            Big Y ?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Please join the R1b project and upgrade to 67 Y STRs. That will put you in the R1b_Haplotypes spreadsheet where you can be compared with thousands of other R1b people, many of whom have tested SNPs deeply
                              https://www.familytreedna.com/public/r1b

Comment

I took a look at your ysearch ID. You look like you are L21. You could upgrade to 67 markers and check out those at ysearch who are closest to you. If you can afford a Big Y test then go for it. You won't need another Y test if you do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X