111 marker or Big Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 111 marker or Big Y

I see FTDNA has a sale for both the 111 marker and Big Y. Do I get the same benefits if I skip the 111 and jump right too Big Y? If not please explain. Thanks

Originally posted by ERHill66 View Post
    I see FTDNA has a sale for both the 111 marker and Big Y. Do I get the same benefits if I skip the 111 and jump right too Big Y? If not please explain. Thanks
    The 111 marker test is a very good test.

Comment

If you can only afford one or the other, you will get more with Big Y, especially if you submit your results to a 3rd party like YFull or FGC, for a nominal fee. For example, YFull gave me 405 of my STR markers ( I already had 111 of them, as I have also tested at that level with FTDNA). Of course, they won't be listed on any FTDNA project site, since they weren't generated by FTDNA, but they have there own STR matching, and you can always use YSearch.
      Last edited by muso; 29th September 2014, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Y-DNA111 and Big Y are different.

Y-DNA111: You'll get matches up to the 111-marker level in the FTDNA database.

Big Y: It's an advanced SNP test to refine your haplogroup and perhaps identify new branches of the Haplotree. You'll get results for SNPs that currently exist on the Haplotree, SNPs that have been discovered but not placed on the haplotree yet, and SNPs that may never have been discovered before.

The raw results from Big Y can reveal marker values, but FTDNA does not provide or use this information -- you would need to obtain those results using external tools, and FTDNA doesn't provide support for this. FTDNA also cannot guarantee that you'll get a full set of 111 markers from the Big Y test. Big Y is optimized for SNP testing rather than STR markers.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by muso View Post
          If you can only afford one or the other, you will get more with Big Y, especially if you submit your results to a 3rd party like YFull or FGC, for a nominal fee. For example, YFull gave me 405 of my STR markers ( I already had 111 of them, as I have also tested at that level with FTDNA). Of course, they won't be listed on any FTDNA project site, since they weren't generated by FTDNA, but they have there own STR matching, and you can always use YSearch.
          When you pay 600 dollars for the Big-Y you should not have to pay more money to a third party to analyse your results. That should be part of the deal with FTDNA. They could colour code the novel variants in the raw data so that one could see for themselves.

Comment

Have you already tested something and if so what? I wouldn't order Y-DNA111 if I didn't have several Y-DNA67 marker matches, some of whom had ordered 111.

It is very hard to make suggestions to you when we don't know what you have already tested and what your goals are.

I don't think you can order Big Y if you haven't already ordered a Y-DNA test.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

The answer were very helpful thanks again. I was just wondering what to do next. Not ready to do anything at this time but wanted to see if I could get an idea to what to do next.

I have tested to 67 markers and have matches but I have gotten all the help I'm going to get from them. Don't think the chances of finding new matches at 111 are good and there is a chance that if any new matches might come along they might have checked "show matches who share the same last name". I don't share the same last name as my matches. All my matches share the same last name. I also have done the Autosomal DNA test.

Big Y might be the best thing to do now but I'm not that interested in what that tell me so maybe later.

Comment

[----] I have tested to 67 markers and have matches [----] I don't share the same last name as my matches [----]
                Once the above is known, Y-DNA111. And I would order it right away, if at least one of your 67 marker matches has done 111 markers or intends to go for Y-DNA111 too (now or sometime in the future).

Big Y only if your matches have already completed Big Y, since for many the cost of Big Y is a barrier and I would not be expecting someone to invest so much for me (=my genealogical research).

Comment

SNPs discovered by Big Y and which you share with others in your subclade/cluster should help tighten the TMRCA for 67 marker matches. For example, one of my closest "matches" is about gd 12 on 67 with me - obviously not a match in genealogical terms. The STRs suggest our two lines separated about 2k years ago. However, we share a relevant SNP, discovered by both of us testing Big Y, and our TMRCA is now estimated at ~1,600 years ago. While that may not be exciting for some, for us it's the best we have right now. We're now waiting for the results of a third "match" to give us a better indication of when our common ancestor may have left the Middle East. For "true" 67 marker matches, Big Y can definitely help refine TMRCA more accurately than STR analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                    SNPs discovered by Big Y and which you share with others in your subclade/cluster should help tighten the TMRCA for 67 marker matches. For example, one of my closest "matches" is about gd 12 on 67 with me - obviously not a match in genealogical terms. The STRs suggest our two lines separated about 2k years ago. However, we share a relevant SNP, discovered by both of us testing Big Y, and our TMRCA is now estimated at ~1,600 years ago. While that may not be exciting for some, for us it's the best we have right now. We're now waiting for the results of a third "match" to give us a better indication of when our common ancestor may have left the Middle East. For "true" 67 marker matches, Big Y can definitely help refine TMRCA more accurately than STR analysis.
                    This has been my experience as well. The SNPs I share with two matches - one in particular - have moved my TMRCA to about 1500 years. The SNPs appear to have a higher confidence level.

Comment

Working...
                    X