Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ordered the yDNA 67 Marker test and have a couple of questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ordered the yDNA 67 Marker test and have a couple of questions!

Hi, my question is I ordered the yDNA67 Marker test for my brother. It says, "Results Completed: 9/19/2014" but only the 12 Marker test is back. How long does it take for each Marker test results to come in? I was told they would all come in at once but they obviously are coming in, in batches.

Also, it says his Haplogroup is R-M269* (R1b1a2*) so will this change as the other Marker tests come in?

Thanks a bunch!

This test seems to be divided in panels: 1-12, 13-25, 26-37, etc. They should be processed simultaneously, so the results will follow shortly after each other.

Comment

I hope so! Here's what it says on the other tests...
      Tests Lab Procedure Batch Expected Notes
      Y-DNA67 Y-DNA13-25 Markers 585 2-4 Weeks
      Y-DNA67 Y-DNA26-37 Markers 585 2-4 Weeks
      Y-DNA67 Y-DNA38-47 Markers 585 2-4 Weeks
      Y-DNA67 Y-DNA48-60 Markers 585 2-4 Weeks
      Y-DNA67 Y-DNA61-67 Markers 585 2-4 Weeks

Originally posted by Hneel View Post
      This test seems to be divided in panels: 1-12, 13-25, 26-37, etc. They should be processed simultaneously, so the results will follow shortly after each other.

Comment

2 to 4 weeks apart doesn't make any sense to me at all!

Comment

Carolyn,

Each panel is tested separately. Sometimes the results of multiple panels come in at/around the same time, but sometimes they come in at different times. It depends on the lab schedule and which Y-DNA panels they are processing at the time.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by CarolynHicks View Post
            [----] the 12 Marker test is back
            [----]
            it says his Haplogroup is R-M269* (R1b1a2*) so will this change as the other Marker tests come in?
            Unlikely, though possible. FTDNA makes predictions based on the first panel and then does a check using two more STRs. Read in the FTDNA Learning Center How does Y-Chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) haplogroup prediction work?

Comment

Hi, my question is I ordered the yDNA67 Marker test for my brother. It says, "Results Completed: 9/19/2014" but only the 12 Marker test is back. How long does it take for each Marker test results to come in? I was told they would all come in at once but they obviously are coming in, in batches.

Also, it says his Haplogroup is R-M269* (R1b1a2*) so will this change as the other Marker tests come in?

Thanks a bunch!
              You can enter his 12 markers at ysearch and look for exact matches.

Comment

Hi, my question is I ordered the yDNA67 Marker test for my brother. ....

Thanks a bunch!
                Sometimes FTDNA will make a prediction further down in the phylogenetic tree once the 67 markers come in. The prediction isn't always accurate though. If the 66th marker, called DYS492, is has a value of 12 your brother is extremely likely to be P312. If the marker is a 13 he is extremely likely to be U106.

You might get lucky with a close match at 67 markers that has done SNP testing down to the terminal subclade which let you know what your brother's terminal subclade is most likely.

Using 12 markers at Ysearch or in FTDNA matches is not good enough to predict a subclade and that can cause people to be misled. Your brother most likely has pages of exact matches at 12 markers with many of them belonging to very different subclades.

Comment

As stated above each panel is run separately. If any panel fails it will have to be rerun.

The 2-4 weeks after each panel does not mean that it will take 2-4 for the first panel and then 2-4 additional weeks for the next panel. It means 2-4 weeks total, but they don't upgrade these estimates as things change (delays for any reason).

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post

Using 12 markers at Ysearch or in FTDNA matches is not good enough to predict a subclade and that can cause people to be misled. Your brother most likely has pages of exact matches at 12 markers with many of them belonging to very different subclades.
                    It depends on the first 12 markers and FTDNA has her brother M269*. Some branches can be determined with the first 12.Here is one of them 13 25 14 11 11 13 12 12 12 13 14 29.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                      It depends on the first 12 markers and FTDNA has her brother M269*. Some branches can be determined with the first 12.Here is one of them 13 25 14 11 11 13 12 12 12 13 14 29.
                      Yes, the 12 marker haplotype you've posted is most likely M222+. However, that's the rare exception to the rule that it's very difficult in most cases and impossible in many cases to predict an R1b subclade based on 12 markers.

The strong recommendation is to look at the haplotype at 37 or more markers to get an idea of any significant matches or the possible subclade. (As Armando indicated regarding marker 66, 67 is much better.) Since the original poster has already ordered 67 markers and is waiting for the remaining marker results, she should just wait until all the marker results are in.

At that point, things will probably be much clearer. If she wants more advice at that point, she should post in this thread when all the results come in.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                        Yes, the 12 marker haplotype you've posted is most likely M222+. However, that's the rare exception to the rule that it's very difficult in most cases and impossible in many cases to predict an R1b subclade based on 12 markers.

The strong recommendation is to look at the haplotype at 37 or more markers to get an idea of any significant matches or the possible subclade. (As Armando indicated regarding marker 66, 67 is much better.) Since the original poster has already ordered 67 markers and is waiting for the remaining marker results, she should just wait until all the marker results are in.

At that point, things will probably be much clearer. If she wants more advice at that point, she should post in this thread when all the results come in.
                        I am not saying that one only needs 12 markers but the first 12 should not be overlooked. Some of the men who are exact matches at 12 markers are my closest relatives and also those exact matches in the U106 branch definitely belong to the same subclade as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                          I am not saying that one only needs 12 markers but the first 12 should not be overlooked. Some of the men who are exact matches at 12 markers are my closest relatives and also those exact matches in the U106 branch definitely belong to the same subclade as I do.
                          And how many of your exact 12 marker matches aren't even U106+?

It doesn't matter how many of your 12 marker matches are in your subclade. If a significant number aren't, then it's really almost useless to consider anything based on 12 marker matches.

You're not helping a newbie when you tell her that she should look at 12 marker matches and make decisions or predictions based on that. As I pointed out, she has already ordered 67 markers and is waiting for the remaining 55 marker results. The best advice is to wait for the remaining markers and see what they may indicate.

Comment

It doesn't matter how many of your 12 marker matches are in your subclade. If a significant number aren't, then it's really almost useless to consider anything based on 12 marker matches.

You're not helping a newbie when you tell her that she should look at 12 marker matches and make decisions or predictions based on that. As I pointed out, she has already ordered 67 markers and is waiting for the remaining 55 marker results. The best advice is to wait for the remaining markers and see what they may indicate.

Comment

You don't even understand what I am writing. Go back to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X