37 to 67 upgrade. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mahgninnuc View Post
    My half-brother was born when our father was 24 and I was born when he was 40. My brother and I are separated by 2 markers at 37 markers and he has about 3 times as many matches as I do at 12 markers. So, I would say this leads credence to what you said.
    Interesting.. Were those differences on the so-called fast moving markers?

It would be nice if the search page had options to make it less strict, more like the ysearch page.

Comment

Older Fathers

Originally posted by Hneel View Post
      Interesting.. Were those differences on the so-called fast moving markers?

It would be nice if the search page had options to make it less strict, more like the ysearch page.
      My father was 40 when I was born and my grandfather was 45 when my father, the first of 4 children, was born. My two closest matches on ysearch are "Hopkins", which is also my surname. One is a GD 5 at 45 compared markers. 1 step at 391, 1 step at 458, 2 steps at 449 and 1 step at 576. My 3 GD at 25 compared markers is 1 step at 391 also, and 2 steps at 449 also. My understanding is that 458, 449 and 576 are all fast moving markers. Is that correct? The reason for the 45 compared markers is that I have upgraded from Y-DNA 37 to Y-DNA 111 but have only received the results from panel 38-47 so far.

Thanks, Hoppy
      I'm Hoppy
      FTDNA Customer
      Last edited by I'm Hoppy; 4 October 2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm Hoppy View Post
        [----]. My understanding is that 458, 449 and 576 are all fast moving markers. Is that correct? [----]
        You can find mutation rates for many markers here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Y-STR_markers

In my Y-DNA project view, I can see that CYD, DYS385, DYS413, DYS439, DYS446, DYS449, DYS456, DYS458, DYS464, DYS481, DYS557, DYS570, and DYS576 are marked as having faster mutation rates.

If you go to FTDNA Y-DNA Library of Scientific Papers, you can read the original research papers the mutation values were taken from.

Comment

My father was 40 when I was born and my grandfather was 45 when my father, the first of 4 children, was born. My two closest matches on ysearch are "Hopkins", which is also my surname. One is a GD 5 at 45 compared markers. 1 step at 391, 1 step at 458, 2 steps at 449 and 1 step at 576. My 3 GD at 25 compared markers is 1 step at 391 also, and 2 steps at 449 also. My understanding is that 458, 449 and 576 are all fast moving markers. Is that correct? The reason for the 45 compared markers is that I have upgraded from Y-DNA 37 to Y-DNA 111 but have only received the results from panel 38-47 so far.

Thanks, Hoppy
          FTDNA allows a GD of seven at 67 markers to be related to someone of the same surname.

Comment

[----] My understanding is that 458, 449 and 576 are all fast moving markers. Is that correct? [----]
            See also Articles on mutation rates in the Y-chromosome, a collection kept up to date by ISOGG.

Comment

Thanks, Hoppy
              Each mutation could be an SNP so you there would be 5 SNPs difference between you and this other man. There could be a lot more when you are both tested to 111. I know two testers who have a GD of 10 at 111 markers and they have 10 different SNPs each from their Big-Y tests.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                Each mutation could be an SNP so you there would be 5 SNPs difference between you and this other man. There could be a lot more when you are both tested to 111. I know two testers who have a GD of 10 at 111 markers and they have 10 different SNPs each from their Big-Y tests.
                That is an interesting thought. I appreciate the help as I have a lot to learn regarding DNA testing and results.

Hoppy

Comment

That is an interesting thought. I appreciate the help as I have a lot to learn regarding DNA testing and results.

Hoppy
                  I realize anecdotal evidence is of limited value, however, I have a match that is GD3 at 67 STRs (4.5%) , GD9 at 111 (8.1%) and GD33 at 431 (7.6%) (Yfull analysis of BIG Y). Testing beyond 67 markers was quite enlightening, in this case. The consistency from 111 to 431 is interesting. I think. BIG Y found 2 non-Matching SNPs.
                  fmoakes
                  FTDNA Customer
                  Last edited by fmoakes; 5 October 2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmoakes View Post
                    I realize anecdotal evidence is of limited value, however, I have a match that is GD3 at 67 STRs (4.5%) , GD9 at 111 (8.1%) and GD33 at 431 (7.6%) (Yfull analysis of BIG Y). Testing beyond 67 markers was quite enlightening, in this case. The consistency from 111 to 431 is interesting. I think. BIG Y found 2 non-Matching SNPs.
                    I have a GD of 22 from the 95 marker R1b modal. I have 2 at 25,9 at 37,15 at 67 and 22 at 95. The modal may be the ancestral haplotype of Mr.L11 and there are more than 22 SNPs from L11 to my most recent SNP. Lets assume that L11 is around 7000 years old, it seems to me that a lot of the YSTR mutations in my line have disappeared but the SNPs remain.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                      I have a GD of 22 from the 95 marker R1b modal. I have 2 at 25,9 at 37,15 at 67 and 22 at 95. The modal may be the ancestral haplotype of Mr.L11 and there are more than 22 SNPs from L11 to my most recent SNP. Lets assume that L11 is around 7000 years old, it seems to me that a lot of the YSTR mutations in my line have disappeared but the SNPs remain.
                      If the modal is ancestral and correct in TMRCA then those who say that one YSTR mutation is equal to 100 years are wrong. I should have 70 mutations. If mutations happened then they reverted back to the ancestor haplotype and the dna repair unit were very busy in my Y line over the last 7000 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X