111 match 0-GD. How common is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 111 match 0-GD. How common is this?

I stepped into this about a year ago searching for my GGF's ancestry. My GGF said he was adopted and we have no record of his background other than he said he was born in Texas. His surname Hamilton may have been his family name or his adopted name. I've done tests and match with a lot of Gillilands. In fact I match one person at 111 with 0-GD.

I'm wondering, within the huge ftdna database, how common or uncommon this might be to match someone with an unknown relationship this closely. I show no match to this same person in Family Finder so the MRCA goes back at least a few generations.

So here are my questions:
    Does the data exist in FTDNA for the following? Is it posted anywhere?
    For 0-GD matches @ 111 markers with no known relationship, what percentage of folks show up with this level of match? 1/100, 1/1,000,000?

This is my best lead to date. However, it seems a little too good to be true. Is this match level so uncommon that I know I'm on the right track?

Are mistakes common enough I should request a re-test?

Or should I keep the faith and trust the results and get on with the research?

Thanks for your input.

Regardless of the odds -- which from everything I know are very small -- there is no reason to stop your research. Rather, the genetic data are telling you to redouble your efforts. Also, assuming your test and the one that matches you so well were done independently and at different times (in other words, no contact between the two of you until you discovered him on your match list), I don't see how this could conceivably be an error. It seems to me you got a lucky break. I still have NO reported matches at 111 markers.

Comment

Originally posted by ghamilton View Post
      I stepped into this about a year ago searching for my GGF's ancestry. My GGF said he was adopted and we have no record of his background other than he said he was born in Texas. His surname Hamilton may have been his family name or his adopted name. I've done tests and match with a lot of Gillilands. In fact I match one person at 111 with 0-GD.

I'm wondering, within the huge ftdna database, how common or uncommon this might be to match someone with an unknown relationship this closely. I show no match to this same person in Family Finder so the MRCA goes back at least a few generations.

For 0-GD matches @ 111 markers with no known relationship, what percentage of folks show up with this level of match? 1/100, 1/1,000,000?

This is my best lead to date. However, it seems a little too good to be true. Is this match level so uncommon that I know I'm on the right track?

Thanks for your input.
      You both need to take the Big-Y test to determine how close you really are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
        You both need to take the Big-Y test to determine how close you really are.
        That's a little overkill, at this point and IMHO... We don't even know if his match did the $79 FF test yet...
        Last edited by hansonrf; 23 August 2014, 04:24 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by hansonrf View Post
          That's a little overkill, at this point and IMHO... We don't even know if his match did the $79 FF test yet...
          Yes you are right but what will he learn from the FF test if they are connected 10 generations past?

Comment

I can't tell you how common it is but for comparison my closest match is 1 step at 111 markers. We share the same surname and rare haplotype. His paper trail goes back to circa 1606 and mine goes back to circa 1737.

Our common ancestor is at least 9 generations back and could be 12 generations. We have both taken the family finder test and do not match.

Your match could be very close and show up on family finder or it could be too distant.

Comment

Originally posted by awheaton View Post
              Your match could be very close and show up on family finder or it could be too distant.
              I do have FF results and we don't show as a match there.

The TiP reports shows 95.3% chance of a common ancestor within 4 generations but I know that's only a guess based on average probabilities. It appears from this feedback that I'm probably on the right track.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Agreed, definitely continue. BigY isn't going to tell you anything important here, regarding this relationship. I have an extremely good match on BigY who is GD13/Y37. Common ancestor is probably 2000+ years back.

Regarding GD0/Y111, I'm GD1/Y67 to my own father. GD0/Y111 is extremely close.

Comment

Originally posted by ghamilton View Post

Thanks for your input.
                  You must be connected to the Gilliland family,an ancient Irish connection Mac Giolla Fhaolain.

Comment

Working...
                  X