Common to have no surname matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common to have no surname matches

I got my YDNA 37 matches back and shows 24 matches.

But not one is my last name Burke.

Only thing close is two matches to a Quinn, which my 3rd great grandmother was.

my haplo says it should be R-M269. What tests do you need to do to confirm that?

You can order the M269 SNP to confirm the prediction. A "R" project admin might be able to look at your results and suggest a downstream SNP you could order.

Many people don't have matches with their surname, usually because there has been a name change in their paternal line as a result of some know or unknown event. Do you have Burke surname matches at any level? If so, what level has each of them tested to (this is shown following their name on the match page).

You might want to have a 2nd or 3rd cousin with your Burke paternal line test. Do they match you or do they match someone else, maybe with the Burke surname?

Are you a member of the Burks surname project? This project includes the Burke surname and makes it easy for others to see your results which would help them make suggestions to you.

If the Ysearch upload is working you could upload your data and share you Ysearch ID, but not your password, which will give you another place to look for matches and will also provide a way for others to your results.

Comment

37 markers usually aren't enough to make a subclade prediction for someone that is R1b-M269, and the subclade is likely what you eventually want to determine. Even with 67 markers an accurate prediction of the terminal SNP is hard to come by. You should do a Geno 2.0 or BigY test in order to get your terminal SNP found in the respective test.

In some circumstances new matches can show up with a 67 marker test because they show matches with a larger GD. For example a 7 marker difference as opposed to a 3 marker difference.
      Last edited by Armando; 9 July 2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        You can order the M269 SNP to confirm the prediction. A "R" project admin might be able to look at your results and suggest a downstream SNP you could order.

Many people don't have matches with their surname, usually because there has been a name change in their paternal line as a result of some know or unknown event. Do you have Burke surname matches at any level? If so, what level has each of them tested to (this is shown following their name on the match page).

You might want to have a 2nd or 3rd cousin with your Burke paternal line test. Do they match you or do they match someone else, maybe with the Burke surname?

Are you a member of the Burks surname project? This project includes the Burke surname and makes it easy for others to see your results which would help them make suggestions to you.

If the Ysearch upload is working you could upload your data and share you Ysearch ID, but not your password, which will give you another place to look for matches and will also provide a way for others to your results.

There 2 matches at 12, and that is it, none at 25 or 37.

I am doing my fathers test right now, but it was just sent back, so will be a while before I get those results.

And Yes I am part of the Burke surname group and have also uploaded to ysearch.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Glad to read Armando's advice above--I'm in a similar situation, and as a result both upgraded to a 67 marker here, and took advantage of the current Geno 2.0 sale, precisely on the logic he outlines.

Comment

Working...
          X