New; seeking help interpreting results, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New; seeking help interpreting results, please

Newbie here. Results came in just this morning, and I'm seeking help interpreting them, please.

I had a Y-DNA test done on my 2nd cousin. (Autosomal testing has determined that, indeed, he and I are second cousins.)

Test was a 67-marker test. So far, info is in thru marker 37.

We were hoping for a match to a 12-marker kit, a now-deceased man who was known to descend from our three-greats grandfather. My 2nd cousin and that more distant cousin do match as far as that more distant cousin's info shows on the 12-marker test.

My 2nd cousin shows as haplogroup L-M20, as does the more distant cousin. The haplogroup info shows in the color red on the "project" page for the name project that I joined. Supposedly, if a haplogroup is in the color red, it means that the haplogroup is "predicted."

QUESTION #1: When the test results come in thru marker 67, will the haplogroup be confirmed?

Next, under Y-DNA matches, familyTreeDNA is showing the two matches we expected (both 12-marker tests), and it is showing a 3rd match to a 37-marker test. With that 37-marker match, it is showing a different haplogroup: L-M349.

I cannot find that person on a project, so I can't tell whether that is a confirmed haplogroup, or a predicted haplogroup.

QUESTION #2: Could a "predicted" haplogroup of L-M20 be the same as a "confirmed" haplogroup of L-M349? Otherwise, why the difference if familyTreeDNA says they match?

And the final surprise is a real surprise: The line we come from, now proven by Y-DNA, is from a man whose last name was BEARD. He died in 1854. We can track him back in documents to his marriage in 1818. He reported that he was born in 1794, in Pennsylvania. As far back as we can find paper on him, his last name was BEARD.

The next puzzle? The 37-marker match is to a man with the surname SCHWAB, in Germany, with roots in Switzerland.

QUESTION #3: Last name BEARD, and last name SCHWAB. The surnames are completely different. The match to 37 markers is exact; however, there is the haplogroup difference of predicted L-M20 versus possibly confirmed L-M349. Do we have a match?

Someone who understands this, please, please help!

Thank you!

Alice

correction

The match to the 37 marker is "3 off," not exact.

familyTreeDNA simply pulled it as a match when I clicked "show matches." At the time, I incorrectly assumed that it would pull only exact matches. I did not understand the "Genetic Distance" notation on the listing.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierAlice View Post

QUESTION #1: When the test results come in thru marker 67, will the haplogroup be confirmed?
      Haplogroups are only confirmed by ordering SNP tests. FTDNA only predicts haplogroups based on 12 marker STR results. If they can not confidently predict haplogroup they run a free backbone test which will result in a confirmed haplogroup.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...snp-assurance/

Next, under Y-DNA matches, familyTreeDNA is showing the two matches we expected (both 12-marker tests), and it is showing a 3rd match to a 37-marker test. With that 37-marker match, it is showing a different haplogroup: L-M349.

I cannot find that person on a project, so I can't tell whether that is a confirmed haplogroup, or a predicted haplogroup.

QUESTION #2: Could a "predicted" haplogroup of L-M20 be the same as a "confirmed" haplogroup of L-M349? Otherwise, why the difference if familyTreeDNA says they match?
      L-M349 man has tested positive (via SNP test)for M349 which has placed him further into the L subclades, he is also M20 positive, therefore it is possible that since the L-M20 man matches he may also be positive for M349. But will need to order SNP test to confirm which will also give him further subclade placement

Comment

Working...
      X