Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a [email protected] NOT a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a [email protected] NOT a match?

other than it falling apart at 111

My query revolves around this scenario:

I am 99.999% certain that my father's line carries an NPE- I have known this since 2006 when I first tested. Since then, as an L21>DF13* man, I have only had 4 exact matches at 12 markers and three with a GD=1-3 at 27, and none beyond that.

Last week I returned a "miraculous"match with a man from Finland, with a [email protected] Incredible, right?

Being that we do not have any shared genealogies (that we are aware of) can this just be a coincidence? I do know that his surname does appear in the same state, but different counties, as my family lived, back in 1900.

With such a low results yielding haplotype, could this indeed be just a coincidence?

Thank you for any input.

Originally posted by Zaru View Post

I am 99.999% certain that my father's line carries an NPE- I have known this since 2006 when I first tested. Since then, as an L21>DF13* man, I have only had 4 exact matches at 12 markers and three with a GD=1-3 at 27, and none beyond that.

Last week I returned a "miraculous"match with a man from Finland, with a [email protected] Incredible, right?

Being that we do not have any shared genealogies (that we are aware of) can this just be a coincidence? I do know that his surname does appear in the same state, but different counties, as my family lived, back in 1900.

With such a low results yielding haplotype, could this indeed be just a coincidence?

Thank you for any input.
    This sounds like a very promising match, considering the close DNA match and the relatively close geographic area shared by your paternal line ancestor and someone with the same surname as your match.

Have you and the match both had the Family Finder test done? If you both have Family Finder results, there's a chance there's enough shared DNA to establish some cousin relationship between you and the match. The 67/67 yDNA match implies a common ancestor in the last few hundred years or less. Do you know when his immigrant paternal line ancestor came to the U.S.?

The next step is for both of you to have Family Finder results and see if you're on each other's match list. If he has to order Family Finder, you should be prepared to offer to pay for his test, unless he's willing to pay himself.

Comment

Mike...

I have been fortunate enough in that he is extremely interested in testing. We are both upgrading to 111 markers. He has ordered FF as well.

My PF results, four months ago, seemed to be an anamoly with a 65% Finnish/ Orcadian result. When I uploaded my data to Gedmatch my highest percentages revolved around the Fenn-Ugric peoples. I did not understand until last week.

It's a "pinch me" moment, as my own brother and I are a [email protected]

I just don't know if I actually want to discover the intimate details. I will be interested to see if he and I will have any shared segments as it might help in discerning the obvious.

To clarify- his surname shows up in the state- but he himself can not place an ancestor here. Being that they were in a different county (about 45 mins by car), I do not know how this is going to be explained.

Comment

To clarify- his surname shows up in the state- but he himself can not place an ancestor here. Being that they were in a different county (about 45 mins by car), I do not know how this is going to be explained.
        I did catch that detail (almost didn't!) in your original post that I responded to. So before posting, I had to edit what I wrote to ask if he knows when his immigrant paternal line ancestor arrived in the U.S.

You are noting that someone with the same surname lived in a county nearby to where your family lived about 1900. I was thinking that, since he's Finnish, his surname is not that common in the U.S. or the county you're referring to. Of course, I may be wrong about how common the surname is.

If I'm right, knowing when his immigrant paternal line ancestor arrived in the U.S. (hopefully not too long before 1900) might tie him to the family with the same surname who lived relatively close to your ancestors about 1900. Even if today the distance between the two counties is a 45 minute car drive, if one of the counties had a major city, that may be a reason for your ancestor or his to travel to the other county.

You have to consider all the possible ways to establish a connection and then look for the evidence in DNA results that back up that connection. That was my thinking behind the question.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
          I did catch that detail (almost didn't!) in your original post that I responded to. So before posting, I had to edit what I wrote to ask if he knows when his immigrant paternal line ancestor arrived in the U.S.

You are noting that someone with the same surname lived in a county nearby to where your family lived about 1900. I was thinking that, since he's Finnish, his surname is not that common in the U.S. or the county you're referring to. Of course, I may be wrong about how common the surname is.

If I'm right, knowing when his immigrant paternal line ancestor arrived in the U.S. (hopefully not too long before 1900) might tie him to the family with the same surname who lived relatively close to your ancestors about 1900. Even if today the distance between the two counties is a 45 minute car drive, if one of the counties had a major city, that may be a reason for your ancestor or his to travel to the other county.

You have to consider all the possible ways to establish a connection and then look for the evidence in DNA results that back up that connection. That was my thinking behind the question.
          The state in question is Vermont, and the counties are both rural. What I need to do is to test my only male cousin from my paternal line to see if we match. If we do, then I have to work backwards. Finnish immigration was at its height in America from 1880-1930, this timeframe encompasses my father and grandfather's birth years. Prior to that my bext grandfather was born in 1865, so the opportunities lessen.

Of course, there was always New Sweden, where it is purported that some Finns were in the mix, but there are not any matching surnames on the colonists list (but that might not mean much). Of course, a Finn coming into Vermont from Canada is another possibility....

I do not know how frequently the surname occurs, and it appears to be a toponymic but specific to a small area in East-Central Finland.

Comment

Thank you for any input.
            You need two Big-Y tests,one for you and him. An exact match in SNPs will confirm your relationship. It will also help everyone else who has taken the Big-Y to understand their results.

Comment

Working...
            X