Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No matches or Haplogroup for Y-12 Test...Am I that RARE???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No matches or Haplogroup for Y-12 Test...Am I that RARE???

    Yesterday morning I logged into FTDNA and saw that my Y-12 was showing data.

    But there is no prediction of Haplogroup or any matches. Where it should say my Haplogroup it says:

    "You Have No Haplogroup Prediction

    You must have results for at least the first 12 markers for a haplogroup to be predicted. If you have received these results at least 48 hours ago, we cannot predict your haplogroup based on your matches. In that case, you qualify for our free SNP Assurance Program. You may contact our customer service representatives to verify your qualification."

    I asked them about when I should receive my Haplogroup prediction and matches on their Facebook page. The following is their responses:

    "Matches should be instant if there are any in the database." and "The predicted haplogroup takes about a week to calculate."

    So am I so rare that I have no matches or is FTDNA wrong in that I should see matches instantly?

    Also, as far as the Haplogroup prediction, in your experience does it take 48 hours or a week to predict?

    Thank you. I'm so confused.

  • #2
    These are my results:

    Marker DYS393 DYS390 DYS19** DYS391 DYS385 DYS426 DYS388 DYS439 DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II***
    Value 14 23 15 10 15-15 11 13 10 13 13 30


    I do also have Autosomal data with Family Finder on FTDNA.

    And, my father's lineage should be Italian.

    Comment


    • #3
      According to this haplogroup predictor :http://www.hprg.com/hapest5/hapest5a/hapest5.htm

      You have 99.3% chance to be I2b1
      0.4% to be haplogroup T, 0.2% G2a and 0.1% I2a.

      Im almost sure you are I2b1 and no it's not that rare to have a unique haplotype in the FTDNA databse. My mother's paternal line has no matches

      Comment


      • #4
        You never quite know what you are going to get with matching the existing database.

        I too am part of (old) "I2b1" (better known as I-M223). It was easily predicted by the STRs, but I already knew I was part of M223 from a previous SNP test.

        Thing is, I have no less than 216 "matches" at the 12 marker level.

        But, I have no matches at any higher level (25, 37, or 67 markers)! Even though it appears as if I'll fit into one of the "continental" subgroups in the M223 project.

        On Y-search my closest match is 15 steps away.

        So even if you are part of a relatively large haplogroup of Europeans, you can still end up with no close Y relative in the database.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jcsaxx View Post
          These are my results:

          Marker DYS393 DYS390 DYS19** DYS391 DYS385 DYS426 DYS388 DYS439 DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II***
          Value 14 23 15 10 15-15 11 13 10 13 13 30
          It is quite rare to have no listings on your Y-DNA Haplogroup Origins page. This means that no one (of confirmed haplogroup) is within a distance of 1 from you.

          One possible cause: a recent multistep mutation in your lineage. The only way to work around this is to order more markers (or the Big Y if you can afford it).

          Let's say your nearest neighbor is 2 away from you (due to a single, recent multistep mutation). If he matches you on markers 13-25, he will show up as a match at the 25-marker level.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jcsaxx View Post
            If you have received these results at least 48 hours ago, we cannot predict your haplogroup based on your matches. In that case, you qualify for our free SNP Assurance Program. You may contact our customer service representatives to verify your qualification."
            It's early days at just 12 markers but a rare haplotype can be a good thing. It can indicate a hitherto undiscovered branch in the haplotree. And you get a free SNP test.

            Please let us know what emerges from that.

            Comment


            • #7
              I just talked to FTDNA and was told that they would do a Backbone test and it will take 4-6 weeks for the results. I've read where people say that having a backbone test is a good thing, but the lady I talked too said they won't tell me about any of my other markers that they test (she said it might go up to 37 markers). So how is it a good thing if I don't get the extra marker information?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jcsaxx View Post
                So how is it a good thing if I don't get the extra marker information?
                You will get a basic haplogroup test result--not just a prediction. This is useful, because it gives greater certainty to your classification.

                If you want more markers, you will have to order them--either now, or the next time FTDNA runs a marker upgrade sale.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jcsaxx View Post
                  the lady I talked too said they won't tell me about any of my other markers that they test (she said it might go up to 37 markers).
                  To clarify and add a bit more info to lgmayka's response:

                  The backbone test doesn't actually test more markers. Instead, it tests a different kind of mutation called a SNP. Each haplogroup is defined by one or more SNP mutations.

                  You will be provided with the result of the backbone test. The result includes the name of the SNP that you're found positive for, plus the haplogroup that it defines.

                  You may want to watch our two recent webinars that explain Y-DNA results:

                  * Family Tree DNA Results Explained: Y-DNA Markers, Matching & Genealogy
                  * Family Tree DNA Results Explained: Y-DNA Haplogroups & Deep Ancestry

                  Both are available as archived recordings on the Webinars page of our Learning Center:

                  http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/webinars/

                  Elise
                  Last edited by efgen; 1 April 2014, 04:37 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My father is Italian. He had no matches, so he got the free test.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                      My father is Italian. He had no matches, so he got the free test.

                      My father also had Italian on his Paternal side.

                      MoberlyDrake, how long did the Backbone test take and did you get matches after it was complete?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I really don't remember, but I don't think it was very long at all.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                          I really don't remember, but I don't think it was very long at all.
                          I think FTDNA are a bit behind with testing atm for obviously reasons.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Haplotype

                            Originally posted by Silfur View Post
                            According to this haplogroup predictor :http://www.hprg.com/hapest5/hapest5a/hapest5.htm

                            You have 99.3% chance to be I2b1
                            0.4% to be haplogroup T, 0.2% G2a and 0.1% I2a.

                            Im almost sure you are I2b1 and no it's not that rare to have a unique haplotype in the FTDNA databse. My mother's paternal line has no matches
                            I found this very interesting, (haplogroup predictor?) My son is I2b1a1 confirmed, but has a 2 step mutation on DYS 391 = 8, I just put that number 8 in and it came up with 64.4% haplotype R1 but no percentage for I ?!!! Anyway we have done the IRELANDSDNA SNP'S a couple of weeks ago, so it will be all change I have no doubt, great fun eh?! J.Dello.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dello View Post
                              I found this very interesting, (haplogroup predictor?) My son is I2b1a1 confirmed, but has a 2 step mutation on DYS 391 = 8, I just put that number 8 in and it came up with 64.4% haplotype R1 but no percentage for I ?!!!
                              The haplogroup predictor was incorrect for me at 12 markers also. At 12 it gave me a 99.6% chance of being I1, .3% J2b, and .1% G2a. At 37 markers it is correct at 100% I2b. I2b is now called I2a and my currently known group is I2a2b1.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X