Y-12 product discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-12 product discontinued?

Does any one have information if the Y-12 product is discontinued?

It was very convenient to buy several Y-12 packs and keep them handy for entrance product for relatives and then upgrade. The last parcel I received this week (it was ordered on February 2nd) was 3 female FF and 3 male Y-12. Total 6 in one go.

Now it is much more expensive in the first go and most probably I will never do a massive shopping.

The success strategy is to have the kit available - relatives see it does not hurt them to take a sample and are happy to do it immediately.

Who would like to sunk 3*168 (for Y-37) in the first go?

I have noticed that some kits stay with me for 6 and more months prior to selecting the proper individual. Sunk the money for 6 months? Hell, no!

New additions will be slow with this entrance price.

And I know what I talk about - I manage 24 kits (with the last 6) and have paid myself (i.e. from my budget) USD 9 763.85 to FTDNA for tests until now - including 4 Big Y.

I was just planning to order 3 more Y 12 DNA. I cannot find the product Y12 and will not order anything!

It looks like the Y-DNA12 kits are still available when using the "group rate/order link" in projects.

I asked the same question in another thread because I couldn't find the Y-DNA12-kit in the regular order menu.

Testing hypotheses with Y-DNA37 kits is a definite no-no for me.

Comment

Yes you can order Y-12 and Y-25 by using group project links. But interestingly Y-25 is expensive than Y-37

Comment

Do we need to buy a bunch of Y-12s simply because they are soon to be discontinued?

Comment

Originally posted by engisdene View Post
          Yes you can order Y-12 and Y-25 by using group project links. But interestingly Y-25 is expensive than Y-37
          Yeah, $229.00 haha.

Comment

The Y-12 is gone from the GAP price comparison as well

Comment

I hope they are not gone. If so, that will limit my future purchases as well. An example of how I used them:

My earliest known ancestor on one line was born around 1775 and died before 1830. We had a name and we knew he was in a certain location from about 1816-1821. He appeared to have four sons, one of them much older than the other three, but we really had no definitive proof that all four were his sons. I located a male descendant from three of the four potential sons who were willing to test if I paid for it. With the price point of the 12 marker tests, I was able to do this. The test results then led me to upgrade two of the three to 67 markers, with plans to go further. Luckily one of the three cousins is now helping with the costs of the upgrades.

As our next step, we are trying to find male descendants from certain other lines with the same surname who we think could be connected. I won't be able to afford to sink over $100 a pop testing out such theories though.

Comment

Seems to me the following would be a solid strategy and serve customers well:

1) Let us buy the kits without needing [yet] to purchase any testing. We could then have an ftDNA kit available and in our possession should we get a family member to agree to test. I can't tell you how useful that would have been for me in the past to have a kit in-hand.

2) Perhaps an entry-level storage-only option; get the kit into ftDNA's hands for safekeeping while we then strategize on what test is best. Seems folks are using cheap Y-12 for that...

3) Upgrade 'specials' could allow for convenient groupings/batching by ftDNA and incremental expenditure/investment by customers.

Just my thoughts; I tried to look at it from ftDNA's perspective as well.

Comment

Blank Kits

Hi,

If you are a project administrator and would like 'blank' kits, please send a message to Janine Cloud, [email protected]. She is the GAP Liaison and will be able to help you.
                  Originally posted by hansonrf View Post
                  Seems to me the following would be a solid strategy and serve customers well:

1) Let us buy the kits without needing [yet] to purchase any testing. We could then have an ftDNA kit available and in our possession should we get a family member to agree to test. I can't tell you how useful that would have been for me in the past to have a kit in-hand.

2) Perhaps an entry-level storage-only option; get the kit into ftDNA's hands for safekeeping while we then strategize on what test is best. Seems folks are using cheap Y-12 for that...

3) Upgrade 'specials' could allow for convenient groupings/batching by ftDNA and incremental expenditure/investment by customers.

Just my thoughts; I tried to look at it from ftDNA's perspective as well.

Comment

Rebekah,
                    Output listings of the 300 to 400 positive Geno-2 SNP test results and resultant Haplogroups can be viewed in various projects. However, where can a sample of a representative BIG-Y SNP test output be viewed? It would be nice to see what the BIG-Y SNP test can provide. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
                      Hi,

If you are a project administrator and would like 'blank' kits, please send a message to Janine Cloud, [email protected]. She is the GAP Liaison and will be able to help you.
                      Rebekah,

Can you tell me if the ydna 12 tests have been discontinued?

Thanks,

Emy

Comment

Hi,

No, they have not. You can order them through any project join page. For example:
                        https://www.familytreedna.com/group-...&vGroup=ydna_q

Originally posted by emyr View Post
                        Rebekah,

Can you tell me if the ydna 12 tests have been discontinued?

Thanks,

Emy

Comment

Thanks, Rebekah!

Comment

ADMINS CAN'T ORDER Y12 FROM GAP

Can someone explain why Admins cannot order y12 for new members via GAP? We used to be able to do this so yet another unfortunate & unnecessary change making new order recruiting more difficult.

Comment

Y-DNA12 is still listed on the order page for my projects. I've never tried to order through the GAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X