Acker/Aker/Akers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acker/Aker/Akers

Not sure where to post this. After taking my Y-DNA with FTDNA, the results show my only match with my Hale surname is with a known cousin at the Hale DNA Project at FTDNA. My cousin and I DO NOT match any other Hale at the project. FTDNA notified my cousin and I that we matched the following surnames: Acker, Aker and Akers. Another cousin I found through ancestry research said her mother told her and her brother that they were not really Hale, they were Aker. This cousin's mother said an Aker was taken in by a Hale family and changed their Aker name to Hale.

I contacted an Aker that I match through 67 markers, and he has no info on any Aker that may have been adopted, indentured, or apprenticed to a Hale family. I also match an Acker through 12 markers, but have not been able to contact them.

This is some info from the Acker Project at FYDNA, I match the Ackers with a perfect match through 12 markers and I am 1 maker off the Acker in the following:

HEINRICK & PHILLIP JACOB ACKER (ALSACE-LORRAINE TO LEHIGH CO., PA)
    Phillip Jacob was born in 1698, in Spabach, Alsace (near Altkirch in the Haut Alsace region). (Note: anther version says he was born 1696 in Germany). About 1730 "Jacob" and a brother emigrated to this country on the English ship "Loyal Judith." The brothers settled in Lehigh Co., PA and Jacob is buried in the Ziegel Church grounds there.
    The representative of Jacob's family line belongs to a branch who moved through Ohio and settled in Doniphan Co., Kansas. Heinrich, the presumed brother of Phillip Jacob, was born 14 Oct 1700, possibly in Germany, and this is the only info provided by the participant who claims descent from him. Because the results of these two participants match very closely, we have no reason to doubt that their respective ancestors were brothers, and are grouping them together pending further evidence.

Descendants:
    51131 Acker 13 25 14 10 11 15 12 12 13 13 14 29
    65508 Akers 13 25 14 10 11 16 12 12 13 13 14 29

I did find this info on some Akers:
    Thomas Jefferson Acres is listed in the "Lost Children of Wythe Co VA” (by Mary B. Kegley) on page 122 as "poor boy, bound to George Keesling on June 5, last, and George now being deceased, it is ordered that he be bound out again. George Keesling, father of George, deceased, consented thereto." There was no information as to which family he
    went to next. I also, found information that an unnamed Akers was apprenticed to an unnamed family and was removed from that family and rebound to another family because of ill treatment. No information on which family he was rebound to.

Anyone have an idea on where I can find the connection between Acker/Aker/Akers and Hale.

Thanks for any help.

John Hale

John

How far have you traced your Hale's back? I think I would look for geographic nearness of your line and Ackers. One person who led my family surname project found he did not match the surname, instead he matched an odd name. Looking back he found his ancestors lived next to a family with the odd name for a generation, so either an informal adoption or an intimate friendship at that point. He could then start to trace the family with the odd name.

I know little about Alsace but family names came in at different periods in different places and social classes. I have some ancestors where the name switched each generation or was a patronymic and a line of work name. Acker is cognate to the English acre, for land or a unit of measure for land. It would usually be an occupation name, like Bauer (farmer).

I have something similar and have tried to poll as many people of the line we seem to be related to as I can to see if any of them have stories.

I have used guardianship records in Ohio, perhaps all states have them? I was looking in the 1815 period.

I used autosomal testing to suport that a birth after the death of the supposed father was legitimate and that the person who executed the will was a brother in law.

Comment

I have Ackers

http://cowings.tribalpages.com/tribe...andi=358798951

Not on my Y though and it is way back (via parish records )

Comment

Ackermann.

Originally posted by migoblu View Post
        Not sure where to post this. After taking my Y-DNA with FTDNA, the results show my only match with my Hale surname is with a known cousin at the Hale DNA Project at FTDNA. My cousin and I DO NOT match any other Hale at the project. FTDNA notified my cousin and I that we matched the following surnames: Acker, Aker and Akers. Another cousin I found through ancestry research said her mother told her and her brother that they were not really Hale, they were Aker. This cousin's mother said an Aker was taken in by a Hale family and changed their Aker name to Hale.

I contacted an Aker that I match through 67 markers, and he has no info on any Aker that may have been adopted, indentured, or apprenticed to a Hale family. I also match an Acker through 12 markers, but have not been able to contact them.

This is some info from the Acker Project at FYDNA, I match the Ackers with a perfect match through 12 markers and I am 1 maker off the Acker in the following:

HEINRICK & PHILLIP JACOB ACKER (ALSACE-LORRAINE TO LEHIGH CO., PA)
        Phillip Jacob was born in 1698, in Spabach, Alsace (near Altkirch in the Haut Alsace region). (Note: anther version says he was born 1696 in Germany). About 1730 "Jacob" and a brother emigrated to this country on the English ship "Loyal Judith." The brothers settled in Lehigh Co., PA and Jacob is buried in the Ziegel Church grounds there.
        The representative of Jacob's family line belongs to a branch who moved through Ohio and settled in Doniphan Co., Kansas. Heinrich, the presumed brother of Phillip Jacob, was born 14 Oct 1700, possibly in Germany, and this is the only info provided by the participant who claims descent from him. Because the results of these two participants match very closely, we have no reason to doubt that their respective ancestors were brothers, and are grouping them together pending further evidence.

Descendants:
        51131 Acker 13 25 14 10 11 15 12 12 13 13 14 29
        65508 Akers 13 25 14 10 11 16 12 12 13 13 14 29

I did find this info on some Akers:
        Thomas Jefferson Acres is listed in the "Lost Children of Wythe Co VA” (by Mary B. Kegley) on page 122 as "poor boy, bound to George Keesling on June 5, last, and George now being deceased, it is ordered that he be bound out again. George Keesling, father of George, deceased, consented thereto." There was no information as to which family he
        went to next. I also, found information that an unnamed Akers was apprenticed to an unnamed family and was removed from that family and rebound to another family because of ill treatment. No information on which family he was rebound to.

Anyone have an idea on where I can find the connection between Acker/Aker/Akers and Hale.

Thanks for any help.

John Hale
        I have Ackermann, from Ghent then to Bayern, then Amsterdam, and ultimately New Jersey. I wonder if it is possible that your family could have abbreviated their surname?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
          John

How far have you traced your Hale's back? I think I would look for geographic nearness of your line and Ackers. One person who led my family surname project found he did not match the surname, instead he matched an odd name. Looking back he found his ancestors lived next to a family with the odd name for a generation, so either an informal adoption or an intimate friendship at that point. He could then start to trace the family with the odd name.

I know little about Alsace but family names came in at different periods in different places and social classes. I have some ancestors where the name switched each generation or was a patronymic and a line of work name. Acker is cognate to the English acre, for land or a unit of measure for land. It would usually be an occupation name, like Bauer (farmer).

I have something similar and have tried to poll as many people of the line we seem to be related to as I can to see if any of them have stories.

I have used guardianship records in Ohio, perhaps all states have them? I was looking in the 1815 period.

I used autosomal testing to suport that a birth after the death of the supposed father was legitimate and that the person who executed the will was a brother in law.
          Thanks for your reply.

I have my Hale line traced back to 1815 in Wythe County, VA, that is where it is believed my gg grandfather (John Hale) was born. This is supported by a birth listing for a child (Brackenridge Hale) born to my gg grandparents (John Hale and Sarah Fawbush). The birth listing show the place of birth of John Hale as "Wythe, VA" and Sarah's as "Sullivan, TN". I have not been able to discover anything that would put John in Wythe County, VA other than this birth listing.

I am starting to try and find adoptions, etc, in the Hale family line, as I can not find any adoptions, etc on the Acker/Aker/Akers lines. You mentioned: "I think I would look for geographic nearness of your line and Ackers." How would I go about discovering if my Hale family and Acker/Aker/Akers lived close to each other?

Thanks again for your reply.

John Hale

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I looked at your link, but I don't recognize the Ackers.

Comment

I am starting to try and find adoptions, etc, in the Hale family line, as I can not find any adoptions, etc on the Acker/Aker/Akers lines. You mentioned: "I think I would look for geographic nearness of your line and Ackers." How would I go about discovering if my Hale family and Acker/Aker/Akers lived close to each other?

Thanks again for your reply.

John Hale
              John,

The main tool would be the US census. I get at the census through an ancestry.com membership. The census started in 1790. You can search by name but you often have to try alternate or even fantastic spellings.

There are genealogy web sites for most counties, many of then originating through USGENWEB. These have cemetery lists, early censuses and other information. Then there are forums/email lists for most counties and people on them know things or will look things up. There are also surname forums and I use those too.

Sometimes these traditional sources point the direction for DNA, sometimes the DNA points the way for the traditional research. I think to do genealogy and learn much takes both.

On my mother's maiden name I had paper going back to a Virginia Co. (now WV) and lots of mentions of the surname and interesting history but no way to link. By Y DNA I found a 4th cousin who was in the same situation on research. After 4 years another person tested, matched and this one would not write back. But I found a forum when he had mentioned an ancestor and was able to reconstruct his ancestry back to the same county by finding obituaries and then trees. Then I found a tree on ancestry with a Y test for another line back to that county. So now I know those folks were all related. I also know that further back they match another surname. More mysteries to work on.

Comment

Was worth a try

I don't know if this is of interest?:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/aker/messages/305.html

Thanks for your reply. I looked at your link, but I don't recognize the Ackers.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
                  John,

The main tool would be the US census. I get at the census through an ancestry.com membership. The census started in 1790. You can search by name but you often have to try alternate or even fantastic spellings.

There are genealogy web sites for most counties, many of then originating through USGENWEB. These have cemetery lists, early censuses and other information. Then there are forums/email lists for most counties and people on them know things or will look things up. There are also surname forums and I use those too.

Sometimes these traditional sources point the direction for DNA, sometimes the DNA points the way for the traditional research. I think to do genealogy and learn much takes both.

On my mother's maiden name I had paper going back to a Virginia Co. (now WV) and lots of mentions of the surname and interesting history but no way to link. By Y DNA I found a 4th cousin who was in the same situation on research. After 4 years another person tested, matched and this one would not write back. But I found a forum when he had mentioned an ancestor and was able to reconstruct his ancestry back to the same county by finding obituaries and then trees. Then I found a tree on ancestry with a Y test for another line back to that county. So now I know those folks were all related. I also know that further back they match another surname. More mysteries to work on.
                  Thanks for the info. I'll hit those census and see if they can provide a clue as to if the Acker/Aker/Akers were near my Hale's.

Comment

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
                    Was worth a try

I don't know if this is of interest?:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/aker/messages/305.html
                    I'll check out that DNA Project, thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                    X