Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA STR Basics

Hi,

This is the new area for newbie Y-DNA STR talk. That covers Y-DNA12, Y-DNA25, Y-DNA37. Y-DNA67, and Y-DNA111. Let's keep it friendly and low tech.

--
    Regards,
    Rebekah Canada - Consultant
    Web Presence and Customer Engagement
    Family Tree DNA

Y12-Y67

Hi.
    I´ve got my 12markers some time ago that spelled
    R-M198 and may be R1.
    How much more specific will the 67markers be that I´m waiting for?

Kind regards Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Thomsund View Post
      Hi.
      I´ve got my 12markers some time ago that spelled
      R-M198 and may be R1.
      How much more specific will the 67markers be that I´m waiting for?

Kind regards Thomas
      FTDNA currently does not further refine your haplogroup prediction based on testing more STR markers. You would need to SNP test in order to further refine it. A test like the Nat Geo Geno 2.0 test (or if you have the finances the new Big Y test at FTDNA) would be your best bet.

Comment

... or wait a while longer as FTDNA may be re-introducing something akin to the Deep Clade test. We need more details from FTDNA on that.

Comment

DYS385a = 10

Anyone out there with familiarity with what DYS385a = 10 might mean to an R-L2? There are only two persons on the FTDNA Craig DNA Project with this; none on the FTDNA Vance DNA Project (where I also seem to belong, found there on Group 8). Wandering about the internet without much success thus far. Would greatly appreciate any pointers from the grand masters of DNA who sometimes frequent this watering hole.

Comment

YDNA Results &Family Finder

How do you rationalize that my Y matches that also have done Family Finder do not show up as a match in my FF results? I would expect if we match on the Y chromosome that we would also match on some of the autosomal chromosomes.....at least for some of the matches.

This also occurs in the results of 2 other males that I look after.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdrh View Post
              How do you rationalize that my Y matches that also have done Family Finder do not show up as a match in my FF results? I would expect if we match on the Y chromosome that we would also match on some of the autosomal chromosomes.....at least for some of the matches.

This also occurs in the results of 2 other males that I look after.
              The Y matches may be beyond the FF relationship range.
              I have one FF match who belongs in the same Y-SNP subclade Z156 and that was a surprise for me.Some of his cousins come from the same county in Ireland as I do but I don't see any surnames matches with my family tree.
              I was even surprised to find any FF matches as I am the only one in my family circle to be dna tested.

Comment

How do you rationalize that my Y matches that also have done Family Finder do not show up as a match in my FF results?
                You have a less than 50% chance of sharing a statistically significant half-identical DNA segment with a genealogical 4th cousin. At the 5th cousin level you've got only about a 10% chance of matching thusly. And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
                  You have a less than 50% chance of sharing a statistically significant half-identical DNA segment with a genealogical 4th cousin. At the 5th cousin level you've got only about a 10% chance of matching thusly. And so on.
                  It is statistics and you may do better than expected or worse. I have a 4th cousin, identified by Y testing, and he matches 3 of 4 of his 4th cousins who tested and one 4th once removed - a little more matching than expected. In my surname project I do not match any Y chromosome distant cousins by Family Finder, but my uncle matched a 9th cousin by FF, assisted by a lot of colonial intermarriage. So one out of the ballpark hit and a bunch of no matches.

Comment

Y-DNA12

Is the Y-DNA12 test still available? I can't find it anywhere on the brand spanking new website.

Comment

y12 =$59

Originally posted by mafe View Post
                      Is the Y-DNA12 test still available? I can't find it anywhere on the brand spanking new website.
                      Yes, look from your profile pages , click big orange UPGRADE hyper-button.

Comment

FF = 5-6 gens only yDNA= Antiquity

This also occurs in the results of 2 other males that I look after
                        Your Family Finder matches at FTDNA will only show as matches if they are within 5-6 generations normally. You need to go to Gedmatch to find anyone possibly matching prior to that time frame. Many of our members have the same issue and match perfectly on YDNA and no match on Family Finder as the time-frame for matching was prior to 1780 approx circa (5-6 generations) Sometimes one will match a distant cousin prior to 6 generations on FF if from an endogamous population.

Upload the results to Gedmatch then try again. Adjust the cm's down to 5cm or even 3cm if you know that the men are definitely related, then check chromosome browser there to see if any shared segments.

Comment

Originally posted by chcraigca View Post
                          [I][I]Anyone out there with familiarity with what DYS385a = 10 might mean to an R-L2? ... Would greatly appreciate any pointers from the grand masters of DNA who sometimes frequent this watering hole[.
                          What is the value of 385b?
                          I can't see the Craig project at FTDNA just now because just like all the others ATM it is re-directing in a massive loop.

Comment

La Tène Celts L20?

Craig- I have Craig too- from Scotland as my family are all Scots and Craig is a Scottish Borders family. I looked on the cached version of your group projects whilst the project web pages are down. If your kit is 235978 Craig R1b1a2a1a1b3c then you might be an L20 Haplotype. Have you tested for this? You need to see L20- in your SNP results if NOT descended from this Haplo. Otherwise do the advanced SNP test for L20 to make sure as you have only tested to L2?

My family also from L20 = La Tène Celts . However paternal line isn't Craig although still associated with the Flemish in Scotland. So join that Project. Alasdair MacDonald is the Admin. He will help you.

Our Craigs from Craig of Riccartoun in Roxburghshire. Also other Craigs lately from Stirling.

If you are L20 or L2 then your line is said to be La Tène Celt and you need to join any project associated with this- such as U152 Project. The Admins there will help you too.

The Group you have been allocated to may not all be related to you. There also appear to have been what is known as RecLoh events with some members in your allocated lineage group. This happens when one marker over writes the other in certain circumstances. The Admins will recognize this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandrina View Post
                              Yes, look from your profile pages , click big orange UPGRADE hyper-button.
                              Sorry, I meant new Y-DNA12 kits, not an upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X