Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T E Peterman
    replied
    I have found that the people who take orders & answer questions on the phone know less about how much DNA is really available than do others, who work closer to the lab. Their response is always that another sample is needed.

If he did 3 swabs, chances are there is enough.

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    FF looks at Chromosomes 1 - 23, Y-DNA111 and deep clade only look at Y-DNA so you can see why a larger sample would be required for FF.

You can be sure they won't turn down an order without checking the sample supply first.

Leave a comment:

• rivergirl
    replied
    I had an elderly relative test for 67 yDNA a few years back.
    He did 3 swabs.
    We had a Deep clade test done after that.
    I ordered the FF testfor him and FTDNA sent a new kit out.
    When I said that he had passed away, they said they needed a lot of DNA and his old kit wouldnt be enough.
    I later got 67-111 upgrade with no problems.
    I'm wondering if they even looked at his original kit to see if there was enough DNA for the FF. I would have much preferred the FF test to be done.
    A 67 yDNA, deep clade and 67-111 doesnt seem like a lot of DNA from 3 swabs...

Leave a comment:

replied
    Is DNA kept

Thanks, Jim and T Peterman - I appreciate your help.
    Cheers,
    Pam from Oz

Leave a comment:

• T E Peterman
    replied
    Matter of fact, I was able to upgrade several old samples from well before 2005 to FF, after it came out. As long as the supply doesn't get depleted from too many DNA extractions, it is available for future use.

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    The answer is yes.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Hi.

Thanks for responding. Sorry, perhaps my message was unclear.
    My brother tested with Ancestry -Y-DNA 46 markers - when I was still unaware of FT DNA.

As I said - this was transferred to FT DNA (when I learned of its existence.)
    After this I purchased an upgrade to 37 markers for my brother from FT DNA (so, he provided a new swab last March) My original question was - is this DNA kept - in the event of one choosing to do for further testing?

So it seems the answer is - Yes.
    Thanks to you kind people who responded.http://forums.familytreedna.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Pam

Leave a comment:

• aeduna
    replied
    Originally posted by 233440 View Post
    Hi there - can anyone tell me if FT DNA keeps DNA for further testing, please?
    I manage my brother's Y-DNA - initially tested with Ancestry Y DNA 46 markers -
    transferred this to FT DNA, and upgraded to 37 markers.

Have just had my own Family Finder results - and would now like to have my brother tested with Family Finder - preferably without him having to supply another swab.
    Would be grateful for any info, thanks,

Pam (nee Vale)
    Vic Australia
    Hi Pam,

Yes, you can re-use the sample that has been sent in, as long as it hasn't been heavily consumed for some reason in the tests. I started with Y, and have used the original sample for specific further y testing, mtDNA, and Family Finder.
    UGH. Missed that important "ancestry" bit somehow. Ignore me.
    Last edited by aeduna; 5 August 2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: i'm an idiot

Leave a comment:

• Kountz
    replied
    Originally posted by 233440 View Post

Have just had my own Family Finder results - and would now like to have my brother tested with Family Finder - preferably without him having to supply another swab.

Pam (nee Vale)
    Vic Australia
    Since you tested his DNA with Ancestry, you will have to submit a new kit to FTDNA. FTDNA and Ancestry are two different companies, and do not share resources. If you had originally tested with FTDNA, your brother's DNA would be stored for use in future testing.

Edit: When you upgraded his account after transferring his results, they should have sent out a swab for him. If they did, and he swabbed and sent it back, then barring a poor swab, he should not have to submit another swab.
    Last edited by Kountz; 5 August 2012, 06:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

started a topic is Y-DNA kept so I can order a FF?

is Y-DNA kept so I can order a FF?

Pam (nee Vale)
    Vic Australia
Working...
X