Y37 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y37 question

Well, I'm new to family DNA. My main reason to get tested was not being able to trace anything beyond my great grandfather on Ancestry.com The results showed a 37 match with an individual.The results indicated we have an 83% likelyhood of sharing a common Ancester within 4 generations and over 95% at 8 generations. The funny thing is we do not share the same last name. I have a german last name ( Shaffer), he has an english last name( Remaley) So is this shared ancester, assuming we are about the same age our common great,great grandfather?
    If this is the case with different last names would our greatgrandfathers both be adopted, one adopted or one or both illegitmate?
    The person that I have a match with has an email address, and Ive sent him 2 messages with no responses to date.
    Another thing that has me confused is the country of origin with my many Y12 relations, they are for the most part from the UK and some from germany. Should it not be the other way around in terms of county of origin?
    I think I am now more confused than I was prior to having the test done!

Originally posted by Ben Shaffer View Post
    Well, I'm new to family DNA. My main reason to get tested was not being able to trace anything beyond my great grandfather on Ancestry.com The results showed a 37 match with an individual.The results indicated we have an 83% likelyhood of sharing a common Ancester within 4 generations and over 95% at 8 generations. The funny thing is we do not share the same last name. I have a german last name ( Shaffer), he has an english last name( Remaley) So is this shared ancester, assuming we are about the same age our common great,great grandfather?
    If this is the case with different last names would our greatgrandfathers both be adopted, one adopted or one or both illegitmate?
    The person that I have a match with has an email address, and Ive sent him 2 messages with no responses to date.
    Another thing that has me confused is the country of origin with my many Y12 relations, they are for the most part from the UK and some from germany. Should it not be the other way around in terms of county of origin?
    I think I am now more confused than I was prior to having the test done!
    Ben, for genealogical purposes (the last few hundred years), and depending on your haplogroup, you may be able to disregard all 12 marker matches that don't also match you on at least 37 markers. As for the various scenarios that you proposed for the surname differences, any of those are possible; one additional one (depending on when surnames were commonly adopted in the countries in question) is that the two different names may represent two different lines of a common ancestor who simply adopted different surnames. I'm investigating a situation like this between two of my distant cousins. As for non-response, welcome to the club! There are a number of reasons why people don't respond.
    Last edited by vinnie; 5 August 2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X