Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJRL
    replied
    It seems pointless for them to report those values that way. It's not like there would be an issue with comparing an N sample's 14-15 against an R sample's 12-12-15-15 since N and R would never be legitimate matches anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Stenhög
    replied
    Originally posted by AJRL View Post
    So then is it possible that my value is really 14-14-14.3-14.3 like my uncle's (i.e. FTDNA reports 14.3 as 15) or would it have to be 14-14-15-15 like FTDNA reports? If it really is 14.3-14.3, how will that affect my matches once FTDNA starts reporting micro-alleles? Will 14.3 only match other 14.3s (narrowing my matches down)?
    Well, actually both FtDna and SMFG reports your values wrong. Your real (and the Uncle´s) Dys464 values are very likely just 14-14.3 and thats it. The majority of N folks has only two 464 allels. The reason to this is that a massive deletion occurred in one of the progenitors of the N-group and with it went two dys464 markers and one CDY and one dys459 marker. For some reason ftdna doesn´t report this pretty important information and the GD-calculators gets very decieving results. I.e if one compare two 37-markers results one with 14-14-15-15 and CDY 38-38 and another with 14-14-14-14 and CDY 36-36 the result is not a 31/37 match as reported but a more closely 30/33 match.

Leave a comment:

• AJRL
    replied
    Alright, that makes enough sense. I doubt it would affect me much if FTDNA were to start reporting micro-alleles since I have approximately zero close matches, but it would be interesting to see if my value is the same as my uncle's.

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    Originally posted by AJRL View Post
    My value for DYS464 reads 14-14-15-15 on FTDNA. However, when I did a search on SMGF, my uncle's value showed as 14-14-14.3-14.3 (and if I try to search using 14-14-15-15, he and I aren't a perfect match). I'm vaguely aware of what decimal values mean, but I don't understand why SMGF apparently differentiates between 15-15 and 14.3-14.3 and FTDNA doesn't. Someone wanna take a crack at explaining this to me?
    The 14.3 is a microvariant or "partial repeat":

http://www.nfstc.org/pdi/Subject06/pdi_s06_m02_06.htm

As yet, FTDNA's database design is incapable of storing partial repeats, however their CEO has said (long ago) that FTDNA is committed to addressing that shortcoming and word is that may be happening this year.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Yes, I believe that is possible and I din't know how FTDNA will deal with the matching.

My guess is that the same values will be required for them the report it as a match.
    Last edited by Jim Barrett; 30 July 2012, 08:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AJRL
    replied
    So then is it possible that my value is really 14-14-14.3-14.3 like my uncle's (i.e. FTDNA reports 14.3 as 15) or would it have to be 14-14-15-15 like FTDNA reports? If it really is 14.3-14.3, how will that affect my matches once FTDNA starts reporting micro-alleles? Will 14.3 only match other 14.3s (narrowing my matches down)?
    Last edited by AJRL; 29 July 2012, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    SMGF reports micro-allele values, FTDNA doesn't yet. Last November we were told FTDNA is going to start reporting them, but we weren't told when.

It is my understanding that they do know these values for the kits that have already been processed. When they are ready to start reporting these values they'll be able to do so for all Y-DNA kits.

Leave a comment:

• Bartot
    replied
    I was told these are quick mutating markers

I have 11-11-11-11 and its also different to others related to me

Leave a comment:

• AJRL
    started a topic DYS464 Values

DYS464 Values

My value for DYS464 reads 14-14-15-15 on FTDNA. However, when I did a search on SMGF, my uncle's value showed as 14-14-14.3-14.3 (and if I try to search using 14-14-15-15, he and I aren't a perfect match). I'm vaguely aware of what decimal values mean, but I don't understand why SMGF apparently differentiates between 15-15 and 14.3-14.3 and FTDNA doesn't. Someone wanna take a crack at explaining this to me?
Working...
X