Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

genebase IndigenousDNA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • genebase IndigenousDNA

    Hello friends,

    Has anyone else used this free application that compares Y-DNA STR markers against peer reviewed scientific journals?
    Thanks,
    Jason


    Link removed
    Q: What is Indigenous DNA?

    A: Indigenous DNA is an open database which compares your DNA against the DNA of indigenous populations from around the world. You can match your genetic markers against an extensive panel of indigenous populations from published peer reviewed journals. The results of the analysis will rank the populations where similarities to your DNA markers are most frequent.
    Q: How does Indigenous DNA differ from other database types?

    A: Indigenous DNA contains only indigenous DNA data from peer reviewed published scientific journals instead of against other participants. Indigenous DNA can be used to complement other types of DNA ancestral systems such as haplogroup determination.
    Last edited by Darren; 25 July 2012, 09:42 PM. Reason: Please no links to outside company websites.

  • #2
    I found it somewhat useful. I hate that company, Genebase, since they would not allow me to see my MTDNA matchs in their database using my FTDNA results despite the website claiming so. They said I had to buy Genebase's MtDNA FGS. What a load of [email protected]#$%.

    FTDNA is good company with decent products. Genebase is just on the edge of being a scam.

    Also technically this forum is for and paid by FTDNA. Competitor links have been removed in the past so this thread may be removed/censored.

    As I stated on your other thread try http://www.yhrd.org. It's bad but at least you are not donating your data so Genebase can inflate their database numbers.

    You really should get Family Finder and run the gedmatch.com ancestry tools if you want ethnic affinity.
    Last edited by thetick; 25 July 2012, 08:20 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've set up an account there to use this tool, and I cannot find any way to utilize it without having to order a test first. Since you've used it before, can you tell me what I'm missing? I keep getting this message: "You must have Y-DNA markers to use this search feature." Yet I cannot find anywhere to manually add or upload my yDNA results.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by thetick View Post
        I found it somewhat useful. I hate that company, Genebase, since they would not allow me to see my MTDNA matchs in their database using my FTDNA results despite the website claiming so. They said I had to buy Genebase's MtDNA FGS. What a load of [email protected]#$%.

        FTDNA is good company with decent products. Genebase is just on the edge of being a scam.

        Also technically this forum is for and paid by FTDNA. Competitor links have been removed in the past so this thread may be removed/censored.

        As I stated on your other thread try http://www.yhrd.org. It's bad but at least you are not donating your data so Genebase can inflate their database numbers.

        You really should get Family Finder and run the gedmatch.com ancestry tools if you want ethnic affinity.
        Most of the ethnic % on gedmatch do not have Indigenous samples. I get different results on each one I use. Like Harrapa world. I emailed them and I was told by the creator that Herrapa world was for 100% Europeans and not meant to be used for admixture.

        Nation Geographic and FTDNA are getting a new test to include Indigenous samples from Mexico and Canada. The US tribes are not participating. See link

        http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=31055

        The
        Last edited by Yaffa; 25 July 2012, 11:41 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by thetick View Post
          I found it somewhat useful. I hate that company, Genebase, since they would not allow me to see my MTDNA matchs in their database using my FTDNA results despite the website claiming so. They said I had to buy Genebase's MtDNA FGS. What a load of [email protected]#$%.

          FTDNA is good company with decent products. Genebase is just on the edge of being a scam.

          Also technically this forum is for and paid by FTDNA. Competitor links have been removed in the past so this thread may be removed/censored.

          As I stated on your other thread try http://www.yhrd.org. It's bad but at least you are not donating your data so Genebase can inflate their database numbers.

          You really should get Family Finder and run the gedmatch.com ancestry tools if you want ethnic affinity.
          Hello friend,
          I do have FamilyFinder, but IndigenousDNA is different;
          FamilyFinder-PopulationFinder attempts to show ethnic percentages based on autosomal DNA.
          IndigenousDNA attempts to show ethnic percentages based strictly on Y-DNA STR markers(paternal lineage only).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kountz View Post
            I've set up an account there to use this tool, and I cannot find any way to utilize it without having to order a test first. Since you've used it before, can you tell me what I'm missing? I keep getting this message: "You must have Y-DNA markers to use this search feature." Yet I cannot find anywhere to manually add or upload my yDNA results.
            If you haven't already, create genebase user account, then login, at bottom of page it says "Help Center", click that, then on right it says "submit a ticket to our support team" and they can direct you.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ojosAzules View Post
              If you haven't already, create genebase user account, then login, at bottom of page it says "Help Center", click that, then on right it says "submit a ticket to our support team" and they can direct you.
              You need to read all of this link on the new test from National Geographic and FTDNA


              Native Heritage Project
              http://nativeheritageproject.com/201...he-human-story

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                You need to read all of this link on the new test from National Geographic and FTDNA


                Native Heritage Project
                http://nativeheritageproject.com/201...he-human-story
                Yaffa,
                Already read the several forum posts about it, and followed all the links provided in those posts. I'm not looking to spend any more money, as I have spent close to a grand already here at ftdna. The genebase search was explained as being free in the originating post, and that is why I picked up on it. Thank you, though.
                Last edited by Kountz; 26 July 2012, 01:30 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ojosAzules View Post
                  If you haven't already, create genebase user account, then login, at bottom of page it says "Help Center", click that, then on right it says "submit a ticket to our support team" and they can direct you.
                  Thank you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    After opening a ticket with genebase, this is the reply:

                    "Dear Sir,

                    Thank you for your inquiry. We have no service available for importing or interpreting the results from other labs. Best wishes on your genealogical journey,

                    Genebaseteam"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just like I said they claim it's available and then help states it is not, but buy the same test from us please! After that, I had them remove my YDNA out of anger they would not accept my MtDNA FGS results. Now they apparently don't accept any other lab result.

                      Just check out the cost of Genebase products. It's highway robbery for what you get.

                      I say it again.... I HATE that ***** company, Genebase.
                      Last edited by Darren; 28 July 2012, 09:08 AM. Reason: language

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kountz View Post
                        After opening a ticket with genebase, this is the reply:

                        "Dear Sir,

                        Thank you for your inquiry. We have no service available for importing or interpreting the results from other labs. Best wishes on your genealogical journey,

                        Genebaseteam"
                        Sorry to hear that response; I believe they did at one time, but maybe stopped because of not controlling the sample.

                        I know this kind of testing is expensive, but for me, I am researching my paternal line and tested 99 markers w/genebase; which means I have 99 markers I can compare against their 422 peer reviewed paternal ethnic studies.

                        Of all the money I spent(FTDNA or Genebase), the above for me was well worth it because I'm getting an analysis based on scientific studies vs members who are also taking best guess at their paternal background.

                        Also, it will give you confidence in FTDNA results, since your STR marker values should be the same at both.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a few tests uploaded there (using what I got from FTDNA), so they used to allow you to do this. I can't remember whether it was them or Genetree that made you send the certificate that FTDNA gives you, that you can download? To authenticate your results, for quality control.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SallImSayin View Post
                            I have a few tests uploaded there (using what I got from FTDNA), so they used to allow you to do this. I can't remember whether it was them or Genetree that made you send the certificate that FTDNA gives you, that you can download? To authenticate your results, for quality control.
                            As I am sure you know, GeneTree had been bought-out be Ancestry.

                            More to the point, you simply cannot trust the results of a service that demands your certificate from another testing service. Knowing the results from another testing service places both implicit and explicit pressure to find similar results. That is the best case. If the service requires your certificate, then what assurance do you have that it does not use those results to regurgitate the results from the earlier analysis?

                            This is not an unfounded question. Before paying for FT-DNA tests, I tested with 23andMe and Ancestry. I purchased Ancestry's mtDNA and its Y-DNA tests. I have its AncestryDNA (beta) autosomal DNA test currently in progress. Ancestry's found my mtDNA haplogroup to be X which is absolute nonsense.

                            I wrote Ancestry about this and explained that my mtDNA haplogroup was determined by 23andMe and confirmed by James Lick to be L. Ancestry had identified 7 matches, each an X that differed from me by 2 markers. Soon after my complaint, Ancestry added a new match with the L haplogroup and supposedly 0 (zero) differences with my mtDNA. The actual number of differences is 21, not zero. Later, Ancestry identified a ninth match who has the K haplogroup also with supposedly 0 (zero) differences. Again the actual number of differences is 21, not zero.

                            I cannot state with certainty that Ancestry added the L-haplogroup match in response to my insistence that my mtDNA haplogroup is L rather than X. However, the only other explanation is that it is an incredible coincidence.

                            Telling Ancestry that my mtDNA haplogroup is L instead of X did not improve Ancestry's analysis. Giving the service this knowledge motivated Ancestry to go from results that did not make sense to results that insult my intelligence.

                            What of the fact that I am testing with FT-DNA having already tested with 23andMe? Well, I have absolutely no worries. My 23andMe genome has been uploaded to GEDmatch.com. Some of my 23andMe matches tested with both services and have both genomes on GEDmatch.com. For all practical purposes, their 23andMe and FT-DNA results are virtually identical.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X