X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ojosAzules
    replied
    Originally posted by thetick View Post
    Pick the search tap on the top of the website. Then click haplotype and pick your markers. You can also pick your SNP which is useful in eliminating some worthless "matches".

Note there is a nice manual you should download. Click the big pink "Download Manual" button. It is pretty useful explaining the website.
    Thanks ! I did that and I don't match anyone. I guess my paternal ancestor really did fall off a turnip truck

Leave a comment:

• ojosAzules
    replied
    YHRD is an otion, but I found it worthless. Absolutely no sample matches for me and the closest were South Americans. My Y-DNA is SRY2627 from Switzerland. See http://www.yhrd.org but you will be disappointed.

I found Y-DNA STR markers to be a very poor indication of European origins. With autosomal results (Family Finder) there are many tools to analyze your ethnic affinity. See gedmatch.com and the following section:

ADMIXTURE-PROPORTIONS ANALYSIS
    Long ago Spain had colonies in Europe, which included parts of Switzerland, so maybe that is reason for South American matches.

Leave a comment:

• thetick
    replied
    Originally posted by ojosAzules View Post
    Can you please tell me how to upload/enter my Y-DNA STR marker values into YHRD? I created account, but don't see where I do this?
    Thanks!
    Pick the search tap on the top of the website. Then click haplotype and pick your markers. You can also pick your SNP which is useful in eliminating some worthless "matches".

Note there is a nice manual you should download. Click the big pink "Download Manual" button. It is pretty useful explaining the website.

Leave a comment:

• ojosAzules
    replied
    YHRD is an otion, but I found it worthless. Absolutely no sample matches for me and the closest were South Americans. My Y-DNA is SRY2627 from Switzerland. See http://www.yhrd.org but you will be disappointed.

I found Y-DNA STR markers to be a very poor indication of European origins. With autosomal results (Family Finder) there are many tools to analyze your ethnic affinity. See gedmatch.com and the following section:

Can you please tell me how to upload/enter my Y-DNA STR marker values into YHRD? I created account, but don't see where I do this?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ojosAzules
    replied

The part I really like about IndigenousDNA is I'm strictly researching my paternal line and this tool compares my STR markers with markers from peer-reviewed journals.

My experience w/tools that compare Y-DNA STR for ethnicity based on other members(vs peer reviewed scientific journals) can be misleading since most people sincerely believe from what they are told they are Scottish, Irish, etc.

Leave a comment:

• thetick
    replied
    Originally posted by ojosAzules View Post
    What other options are available to analyze Y-DNA STR markers and suggest their European origins?

Last edited by thetick; 25 July 2012, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ojosAzules
    started a topic Other tools for Y-DNA STR Analysis

Other tools for Y-DNA STR Analysis

Hello Friends,

What other options are available to analyze Y-DNA STR markers and suggest their European origins?

I'm looking for something straight forward where I can either upload my Y-DNA STR raw data file or manually input STR values.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Jason
Working...
X