Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORE
    replied
    I don't believe it is a product of the endogamous nature of the French Canadian population since he only has the 4 matches at 37. 1 has GD of 3 (the one that shares a paternal ancestor in the 1600's) the other 3 have a GD of 4. If it was a product of the endogamous nature of French Canada I would expect more matches at 37 markers. It was probably either a prolific line several thousand years ago or a bottle neck.

DYS459 9-10
    DYS464 15-15-17-17

Leave a comment:

• Littlest bit
    replied
    Wow those seem like some impressive numbers, ORE. I know French Canadian's get many close Relative Finder matches due to their population being endogamous for a long time...do you think that is playing out with the Y results, too?

Our kit is part of the L-21 plus project, B1778 Frawley (page 3), and I noticed 2 seemingly uncommon results:

DYS459 8-9
    DYS464 13-13-15-17

Anyone share those? At first I thought my husbands line was a more common one, but even at 25 markers I can tell it's not. I can't wait to get the rest of the results so a haplogroup get's filled in.

Leave a comment:

• ORE
    replied
    My father in law is French Canadian, L21+, and has 6154 Matches at 12 markers, 2528 Matches at 25 markers, and then drops to 4 matches at 37 markers (one lives is lives in and is from France, another shares a paternal ancestor in the 1600's but whose surname morphed).

Leave a comment:

• Littlest bit
    replied
    Thanks

Many thanks, aeduna, looks like DF13+. No haplogroup designation yet, perhaps with 37 markers. I already know it's L-21 from previous testing.

Leave a comment:

• aeduna
    replied
    Originally posted by Littlest bit View Post
    Ok, this is embarrassing It says the DF 13 test is completed but I can't figure out how to find the result. What do I have to click on????? Thanks!
    I had exactly the same problem, there's no section for it that I could find.

You can see them under Y-DNA -> Haplotree. At the top, you should be able to see something like:

Your Haplogroup Tests Taken
    G2a3b1 P303+ P15+ M201+ L662+ L660+ L30+ M406- L14- L13-

Leave a comment:

• Littlest bit
    replied
    How to find DF 13 result????

Ok, this is embarrassing It says the DF 13 test is completed but I can't figure out how to find the result. What do I have to click on????? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Littlest bit
    replied
    Update:

Results came in for 13-25 but 26-37 failed and is being rerun. Looks like those and DF-13 will come around the same time (hopefully).

At 25 matches things changed:

-When I click on Matches, there are 17 matches at 25 markers. 3 list the haplogroup as R1b1a2a1a1b4h, 3 private, the rest nothing.

-Under Ancestral Origins, only Ireland, Scotland, and United States. All are genetic distance -2. 10 were from Ireland, so more Irish modal?

Reading other threads here, 12 to 25 marker matches don't seem to mean that much. I still wonder, though, if the only matches at 25 markers are minus 2 steps (2 different marker results, all else the same?) then could I expect it to get better at 37 markers? The best I can hope for is at least one of the 2 step matches to continue to match, right?

Leave a comment:

• Brunetmj
    replied
    I have always had my doubts that autosomal DNA could distinguish between any of the UK's component countries. My great grandfather believed himself to be Scottish yet all my mathches are Irish ( those that arn't French anyway) I think for hundreds of years people from Ireland / Scotland moved to England for work / Scottish colonies in Ireland existed ( etc. etc. ). I think for the most part it is far to mixed to know. What matters most in cases such as my ggrandfather is with whom they identified with.

Leave a comment:

• Littlest bit
    replied
    This is really amazing how few matches some people get - appears to be one part commonality/one part data base. So, I would say my husbands would be gifted for both.

My husband's surname is Frawley which is not very common, like I said no matches here so far and only 3 other's at 23andme. My husband is somewhat unique in that he is an American with no "colonial" - all recent immigrants. He is half Polish from his mother, and on his father's side, a German grandmother and (supposedly) Irish grandfather. But his Ancestry Finder made me wonder:

UK .5%
    Poland .4% (Polish suffer from a small data base too)
    Ireland .2%
    Germany .2% (another data base problem)

That UK seems really high for someone who doesn't have recent ancestors from there. To put it into perspective, my grandpa's mother was English, born in London and his UK is 1% as is his daughter's (1%)! As for my grandpa's mom, I've traced her paternal line back to Germany so perhaps that might account for my grandpa's very low UK. But still, how to account for my husband's .5%? I started to wonder if his Irish grandfather was perhaps English instead...which is what prompted me to do STR testing.

The name Frawley is pretty clearly Irish in origin based on this map, but clearly there's been some movement:
    http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...5at61757AM.png

When his 12 marker test came in so heavily weighted towards England as opposed to Ireland, I wondered if that was yet another clue that his Irish grandfather may have deeper roots in England????

Leave a comment:

• bob armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Littlest bit View Post

Would this mean he has "English modal"? His father's line was supposed to trace to Ireland but I started getting the feeling it was English based on evidence I was finding. Would this confirm my suspicions or is it too early to tell? If he get's no surname matches at 12, what are the chances he'd get a surname match at more markers?
    I think it would help to know what surname your husband is. He may be via a surname with hot-spots in a particular location. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, there was a lot of traffic between England & Ireland & vice versa.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    I have 46 exact matches at 12 marker. 132 12 marker matches at 1 step. I have no matches at 25, 37. My ydna is old and rare, not to mention it's non-European so I guess I shouldn't expect many matches.

Really the amount of matches depends on the rarity of the Haplogroup, the age, and where it originates.

Leave a comment:

• myskeptic
    replied
    I don't yet have any matches at 12 markers or more. I have two at 8 markers at ysearch. Haplogroup is I2b1*

Leave a comment:

• katerennie4
    replied
    Hi Littlest Bit,

My grandfather (E-M84+, German) has 0 12-marker matches, 2 2-step 25 marker matches, and the same 2 at 3-steps on 37 markers. Luckily they are both same surnamed men. Beyond them however, the closest matches are on ysearch at 4+ steps on 12 markers.

My father on the other hand (R-M222+) has
    509 exact matches
    452 1-step matches

Once he gets up to 25 markers it drops quickly though,
    0 exact matches
    21 1-step matches

And moving on to 37 markers,
    9 4-step matches (nothing closer)

Finally at 67 markers,
    6 6-step matches
    30 7-step matches

So, it's really quite variant in normal # of matches But no matter what, the more markers tested, the better.

Leave a comment:

• Littlest bit
    replied
    Ok, I have to revise my numbers a bit as I'm still figuring this out:

-299 Exact matches
    -350 1 Step

Still when I look at Ancestral origins, Genetic distance -1, shows 552 in England, 373 in Ireland, 246 in UK, and 227 in Scotland (amongst many others at lesser numbers!)

Either way, it's clear that my husband's line is particularly gifted in matches compared to others. Other than being common, and not an exact match for WAMH, is there anything I can gleen from this?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Dave123
    replied
    I'm in a different haplogroup than the OP (E1b1b1a1b), but have 29 exact matches at 12 markers, and 402 at 12 minus one step. But it falls off dramatically at 25 and 37 markers. At 25 exact I have two matches. At 25-1 another two matches, and at 25-2 four matches. At 37 I have no exact matches, two at two steps, and one at three steps.

My large number of matches at 12 markers is likely due to being in the most popular E1b subclade - V13.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X