Failed YDNA 111 again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtc View Post
    When it was launched FTDNA wrote that the FF process requires fresh samples.
    Their original Affymetrix chip for FF required larger samples than the current Illumina chip.

Comment

Failed Y-dna tests

How many times do they test without needing a new swab? I paid for a potential cousin to upgrade all the way from 12 to 111. The only panel to have results was the 38-47. From12 to 67 has been run 3 times and failing every time. It is now being run the 4th time and is due 9-10-2012. The 68-111 came back today for him and it failed. Also my 1st cousin whom I also paid for came back today and failed the 68-111. His is the 1st failure ever on any of his tests. But on the first guy I am totally frustrated on all the failures. Why not ask for a new sample?

Comment

Originally posted by mfiedler View Post
        How many times do they test without needing a new swab? I paid for a potential cousin to upgrade all the way from 12 to 111. The only panel to have results was the 38-47. From12 to 67 has been run 3 times and failing every time. It is now being run the 4th time and is due 9-10-2012. The 68-111 came back today for him and it failed. Also my 1st cousin whom I also paid for came back today and failed the 68-111. His is the 1st failure ever on any of his tests. But on the first guy I am totally frustrated on all the failures. Why not ask for a new sample?
        I can understand your frustration. A possible cause is poor samples due to ineffective scraping.

I don't know how many times FTDNA persists with a sample before deciding to ask for another however, in your case as described, I'd be calling them directly and discussing the issue.

PS: as regards scraping technique, I have found that the best results are obtained by scraping the very first thing straight away after rising in the morning, using only one sample tube each morning until finished. That is, for 2 samples do one vial each for 2 consecutive mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by mfiedler View Post
          As a strategy for ensuring a good sample, I believe that gtc has given good advice. However, he seems to imply that your sample failed because you did something wrong. Don't be so quick to blame yourself. Consider my situation. I paid for Complete Genome and, later, for a Y-DNA 67to111 marker upgrade. I received results from the Family Finder autosomal test weeks ago. I have also received the results of my Y-DNA test for the original 67-marker analysis that is standard with Complete Genome. However, my FMS failed and has to be redone. Yesterday, I received notice that my 67to111 upgrade also failed and has to be redone. With as much sample as I submitted and the fact that substantial portions of my order have already been completed successfully with the available sample, I conclude that the issue is not a sampling problem, per se. I understand that the sequencing is automated. However, it sounds like there are workflow issues of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by MFWare View Post
            As a strategy for ensuring a good sample, I believe that gtc has given good advice. However, he seems to imply that your sample failed because you did something wrong.
            First: Please don't put words into my mouth. I said "a possible cause", not "I think you did it wrong".

Second: Some years ago, after numerous failed tests, FTDNA discovered a quality problem with their supplier's test chemicals. It's possible they may be having similar problems.
            Last edited by gtc; 6 September 2012, 03:44 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
            X