Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed YDNA 111 again!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Failed YDNA 111 again!!!

    Ok after waiting for ydna111 to come in (since May) then some tests came in up to 37 markers (only 2 matches that are questionable at best) second try of the tests were due today after waiting two more weeks and all day today, I just checked and the date has been changed again until 8/6. No follow up explaination or request for more samples (b swab was also run), no comment, no response. I am frustrated because I do not believe that I will get any of the tests I have paid for (just added ff to my Mtdna Kit) and now I am regretting paying for that too since mtdna will be 8/15 and ff 8/27. I have no confidence that any of the dates are accurate. I can't believe that the percentage of non-viable results is as small a percentage as opposed to thinking that with all the new tests coming in the labs are too busy to do the higher marker tests. and if that is not correct, then why not a very quick explaination. I could have gotten a second swab kit from ftdna and sent have my brother redo it and sent back to them by now!!!!!!I think the worst thing is that I have sent comments and have not received responses.
    :mad

  • #2
    Originally posted by Patti1511 View Post
    Ok after waiting for ydna111 to come in (since May) then some tests came in up to 37 markers (only 2 matches that are questionable at best) second try of the tests were due today after waiting two more weeks and all day today, I just checked and the date has been changed again until 8/6. No follow up explaination or request for more samples (b swab was also run), no comment, no response. I am frustrated because I do not believe that I will get any of the tests I have paid for (just added ff to my Mtdna Kit) and now I am regretting paying for that too since mtdna will be 8/15 and ff 8/27. I have no confidence that any of the dates are accurate. I can't believe that the percentage of non-viable results is as small a percentage as opposed to thinking that with all the new tests coming in the labs are too busy to do the higher marker tests. and if that is not correct, then why not a very quick explaination. I could have gotten a second swab kit from ftdna and sent have my brother redo it and sent back to them by now!!!!!!I think the worst thing is that I have sent comments and have not received responses.
    :mad

    Call them..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
      Call them..
      +1

      FTDNA is a reputable company and they will persist until they return the ordered results.

      My original STR test took ages and in the end they sent me a new kit for a fresh set of swabs. After that I sailed through.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is something I'm wondering about. I ordered Y-DNA and FF for my husband at the April sale. I expected FTDNA to send out new vials as they only had vials from a mtDNA test he had done back in 2008. We live outside the US but travel there about 3 times a year. The plan was to have the vials mailed to a friend in the US and do the swabbing when we met up with her this a couple of weeks ago.

        To my surprise - FTDNA batched his tests using his old sample. They did send out new vials (as expected) but we couldn't send them back until this month.

        Needless to say, his results (and many others in his batch) have been pushed from the 6/18 original date to 7/23 with no explanation other than the test failed.

        I would much rather they use the new vials than trying to beat a dead horse with the old ones.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
          Needless to say, his results (and many others in his batch) have been pushed from the 6/18 original date to 7/23 with no explanation other than the test failed.
          If it's a case of many such failures, then FTDNA may be experiencing a problem with the test chemicals that they source from outside companies. I recall such a problem some years ago which created a large backlog.

          Comment


          • #6
            I normally would not vent so negatively, the results are a major event for my
            family since my father was adopted and now deceased. I will call FTDNA to get some kind of answer. I agree with your responses. I know that Lab samples in general can degrade but after two failures even if there were results, I would wonder if they can be accurate. I would rather just get another kit now instead of waiting another two weeks to find out again that the tests failed. Hopeful that FTDNA may be able to give some kind of reason.
            and will ask them with patience and a

            Comment


            • #7
              Hello...I have done the Y111, the Family finder and the Walk Through Y and all were very slow in coming...I am , as your dad was, adopted. For me I would want the tests done right and if that takes time then so be it. The WTY took forever but a new SNP was discovered that is now being tested by FTDNA. I guess I am saying these tests do take a long time so a little patience is a necessary part of this whole deal...They just do not tell you that. Ha. Good luck.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by thormalen View Post
                Hello...I have done the Y111, the Family finder and the Walk Through Y and all were very slow in coming...
                From what I hear, WTY normally does take quite a long time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  YDNA111 update

                  Thanks so much for the comments. They are all truly appreciated. I was more concerned about the sample itself being viable enough. That is now a moot point since all of the tests came in overnight. I found all of them early this morning.

                  I do not have any matches yet but I am so glad that the tests are in. I also have more info that will come in on my Mtdna plus and FF kits. in August.

                  I hope that your test helps in your search since you were adopted. I would
                  like to ask if you would discuss your journey and whether the dna testing
                  has been helpful for you. I know that it has to be a very personal journey but the door has been opened for adoptees and children of adoptees.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Patti1511 View Post
                    Thanks so much for the comments. They are all truly appreciated. I was more concerned about the sample itself being viable enough. That is now a moot point since all of the tests came in overnight. I found all of them early this morning.

                    I do not have any matches yet but I am so glad that the tests are in. I also have more info that will come in on my Mtdna plus and FF kits. in August.

                    I hope that your test helps in your search since you were adopted. I would
                    like to ask if you would discuss your journey and whether the dna testing
                    has been helpful for you. I know that it has to be a very personal journey but the door has been opened for adoptees and children of adoptees.
                    Hi Patti I have been involved with my DNA searches for several years and had become frustrated. But I never stopped and never gave up my goal. Then it seemed to all come together for me. I have located two 2nd cousins on my mother's side and a very interesting American Indian connection on her side. In the last several weeks I have been in communication with a 2nd cousin on my father's side that has blown me away. She has a family record back to a grandfather in 1635 Border Scotland. So my advice is use all the test info in combination and do not be afraid to e mail all your close strong matches. I tied all this in with an adoption search where I located my birth mother and she is a nice person and has been very helpful about her family.I can trace her AI background to a grandfather in the 1700s and her English people to pre American revolution South Carolina. I had to hire a professional to do the adoption search but it was well worth it. Good luck to you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by thormalen View Post
                      Hi Patti I have been involved with my DNA searches for several years and had become frustrated. But I never stopped and never gave up my goal. Then it seemed to all come together for me. I have located two 2nd cousins on my mother's side and a very interesting American Indian connection on her side. In the last several weeks I have been in communication with a 2nd cousin on my father's side that has blown me away. She has a family record back to a grandfather in 1635 Border Scotland. So my advice is use all the test info in combination and do not be afraid to e mail all your close strong matches. I tied all this in with an adoption search where I located my birth mother and she is a nice person and has been very helpful about her family.I can trace her AI background to a grandfather in the 1700s and her English people to pre American revolution South Carolina. I had to hire a professional to do the adoption search but it was well worth it. Good luck to you.
                      And Patti....join all the FTDNA groups that your matches indicate you have kinship with. I have made some good friends with DNA cousins and have gained a great deal of information and support from them. It has all been a very interesting ride.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
                        This is something I'm wondering about. I ordered Y-DNA and FF for my husband at the April sale. I expected FTDNA to send out new vials as they only had vials from a mtDNA test he had done back in 2008. We live outside the US but travel there about 3 times a year. The plan was to have the vials mailed to a friend in the US and do the swabbing when we met up with her this a couple of weeks ago.

                        To my surprise - FTDNA batched his tests using his old sample. They did send out new vials (as expected) but we couldn't send them back until this month.

                        Needless to say, his results (and many others in his batch) have been pushed from the 6/18 original date to 7/23 with no explanation other than the test failed.

                        I would much rather they use the new vials than trying to beat a dead horse with the old ones.
                        Hello,
                        FTDNA has been using my sample since 2006 (when I submitted my kit) and is still able to successfully perform tests on it. I did a 'deep clade' SNP test a few years ago and they had trouble running the sample, but I ultimately got my results. It took close to 5 months. On the other hand, more recently FTDNA has completed my testing before the 'expected date,' including several y-dna upgrades and an SNP test. Sometimes the problem is with the lab or the chemicals used and not necessarily the sample. I doubt the sample is the problem if it only dates back to 2008. They might have gotten an odd result and decided to retest it or something along those lines.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ekc123 View Post
                          Hello,
                          I doubt the sample is the problem if it only dates back to 2008. They might have gotten an odd result and decided to retest it or something along those lines.
                          Well that makes me feel a little better. I didn't want to think that everybody else in the batch was being held up by his DNA. I had asked customer service back in November whether they had enough on hand to do FF and they said no.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
                            I had asked customer service back in November whether they had enough on hand to do FF and they said no.
                            When it was launched FTDNA wrote that the FF process requires fresh samples.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gtc View Post
                              When it was launched FTDNA wrote that the FF process requires fresh samples.
                              Exactly. That's why I didn't order FF until April because I knew we wouldn't be able to actually use the kit until the summer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X