News: The Royal House of Stewart is R-L21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: The Royal House of Stewart is R-L21

Apparently the Royal House of Stewart/Stuart has been found to be R-L21, as reported by the Stewart Stuart DNA Project:

17 Apr 2012: ScotlandsDNA announced that "The DNA of the Duke of Buccleuch was found to be an exact match of a descendant of Charles Stewart of Ardshiel, who fought at Culloden, both men descended from Alan, the Seneschal of Dol, a Breton aristocrat. His family came to Britain in 1066 with William the Conqueror and then made its way to Scotland to found the Stewart line." The Duke of Buccleuch had been SNP tested and found to be positive for L744 (=S388) and L745 (=S463).
    L744 and L745 are both downstream of DF41, which is downstream of L21. I guess that is confirmation that the royal Stewart line was/is R-L21.

The royal Stewart line is supposed to descend from Alan fitz Flaad, a Breton knight.

One of my gg-grandmothers was a Stewart, and I have Family Finder matches to several of the Stewarts who are L744+ L745+. Can't confirm the connection yet, but their Scottish immigrant ancestor went to South Carolina, and my most distant known Stewart ancestor was born in South Carolina in 1801.

Here is an article from The Scotsman that mentions the testing of the Duke of Buccleuch.

And here is one from the Daily Mail online, which runs a ridiculous, sensationalist, attention-grabbing headline, ignoring the Stewarts' ultimate Breton origin.
    Last edited by Stevo; 16 July 2012, 07:34 AM.

Have you seen the modest little house where the Duke of Buccleuch lives?

Comment

Gosh
      Its tiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by andbro View Post
        Gosh
        Its tiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I wish he would hold an R-L21 convention there and invite me.

Comment

Working...
        X