Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my 6th great grandfather be of a different sub-clade of O1a?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my 6th great grandfather be of a different sub-clade of O1a?

Not sure if this is too basic a question to ask:

I understand that all direct paternal lines should come from the same Haplogroup, for eg. O1 for some SE Asians. However, is it possible that my direct 6th or even 10th great grandfather is of a different sub-clade of O1 due to aggressive mutations? For eg, My 5th great grandfather being O1a (M119) and I being O1a1 (P203.1). Can this happen after thousands of mutations in a time-frame of say 1,000 years?

Fan

Fan
    I do not think that is possible. If you have evidence of more then one SNP showing up in the direct lineage, sounds to me as if there maybe a paper trail connection error, or an NPE situation some where back in the tree.

That would be my first gut reaction, is that someone has made a paper trial connection error some where in the tree because all the male descendants should be sharing the same SNP in common.

I have 5th and 6th cousins Y DNA tested and all 7 of us share the same SNP, our common male ancestor was born in England mid to late 1600's era. And our paper trails back to the common male ancestor is very solid.
    Last edited by Donald Locke; 16 July 2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Are both participants Deep Clade SNP tested?

If one or both participants have not been Deep Clade SNP tested, that is something I would invest in doing!

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

I will check if there are further tests to be done for one of the samples.

Fan

Comment

Fan

If the Deep Clade SNP upgrade is available for Haplo O*, then I would highly recommend both participants ordering that upgrade, this way you can clearly prove you are both in the same SNP, or are in different SNP's.

Comment

Working...
          X